108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPUX Hostname Change

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scottie Cameron
Advisor

Set_parms hostname and editing the /etc/hosts & /etc/rc.config.d/netconf has seemed to work in changing the hostname; I do not have a /var/adm/inetd.sec file to check, per Kelli's directions.

Everything looks to have worked; yet the network is not ???talking???. We get a link light on the nic, but when my network analyst tries to get the MAC Address from the NIC, it will not show. My guess is that the NIC has/had been disabled when the server was shutdown (it had problems last year and was sent to the funny farm for awhile??? Kinda like management after budget analyses???).

Thank you all for your help, I guess it???s back to the bar, err, a, the computer room to figure this out???
I said, I AM WORKING ON IT!
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

hello,

if you think the NIC is disabled, then you can enable it through SAM. If the NIC status is down, then make it up with ifconfig command:
# lanscan
# ifconfig lan? up
learn unix ..
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

Did you remember to issue the command hostname to change the name after editing /etc/rc.config.d/netconf and /etc/hosts.

hostname new_hostname

verify the new name with hostname with no arguements. That way you don't have to reboot the computer to change the name.

ifconfig lan0

should tell you if the NIC is active or not, or course you would substitute you lan instance in the above command i.e. lan0 lan1 etc.

If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
Scottie Cameron
Advisor

Well, thank you Sajid & John for the scanlan & ifconfig command; I didn't know that one (or many others, I am new at playing with UNIX).

However, the error was in the physical connection to the network, not anything on the server.

I said, I AM WORKING ON IT!

======================================

Do not write netconf backup file in /etc/rc.config.d.

=======================================

for example

ls -l  /etc/rc .config.d/netconf*

-rw-r--r--   1 bin        bin           8559 Jun 16 10:35 netconf
-r--r--r--   1 bin        bin          15737 Feb 28  2011 netconf-ipv6
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys           8517 Aug 17  2012 netconf_badname-backup    <- remove or move this file

see

cat /sbin/rc1.d/S320hostname

staszprz