1748151 Members
3856 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPUX upgrade

bagek
Frequent Advisor

HPUX upgrade

We are a couple of revs behind on our HP-UX versions. We are on version B.11.11 on all our boxes. We need to load 11i Version 2 and the 11.23 OS Patch. My understanding is that this might require us to upgrade our system drives to a larger size and possibly upgrade other hardware as well. We have 36GB mirrored drives right now. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: HPUX upgrade

Obviously it depends on what you have on these drives and how full they are presently. If you have only the OS loaded on them and they are not too full, 36GB should be plenty of room for your new release.

Pete

Pete
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Since 11.11 and 11.23 have the same end-of-support date, I would consider to go to 11.31 - if you have supported hardware.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
klb
Valued Contributor

I remember going from 11 to 11i required a larger /stand filesystem. It wasn't possible to just extend it because it needed to be contiguous.

This required an ignite system recovery to rebuild vg00 w/larger /stand. Depending on your system and its configuration, this could be a bit of a scary thing to do.

If you have a similar situation in your 11.11 to 11.XX, you'll need to consider your options ( cold install being one of them ).

Hth,

-klb
maslo64
Advisor

/stand can be resized online , however upgrade from 11.11 to 11.23 was very problematic. As advised , Cold install of 11.31 will be better option.

Laco
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor

I recently upgraded our test box (rp7400 w/18GB drives) from HP-UX 11.11 to 11.23 via the "update" method.

After reading the disk space requirements in the upgrade guide, I initially thought I would have to install larger drives, however I was able to wrangle enough space out of the 18GB drives. With only 18 gigs to work with, several of the LVs ended up smaller then the "recommended" default size for a new v2 FOE install, but I was successful. (see attachment for LV sizes/layout)

To squeeze enough room, I had to resize /, /stand, and swap so I created then restored an Ignite image using the advanced options to alter the LV sizes as required. Also, in my case, I needed to update both the GSP and PDC firmware prior to upgrading.

I wanted to try an "Update" as all previous upgrades (10.2 -> 11.0 and 11.0 -> 11.11) were done as "Cold Installs". Now I understand what is meant when the update method is said to be problematic. (It wasn't difficult, just lots of little issues to resolve.) I still have not decided which method I am going to use on production boxes...

Hope this info is helpful,
Dan
...skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
bagek
Frequent Advisor

thanks for all the info. I have a test box I'll try first.
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

update-ux is very good for updating the OE, operating environment within a major version of HP-UX.

It is not reliable for moving from 11.11 to 11.23

Experienced Systems Administrators do not use it.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor

Point of clarification:

I was not intending to suggest any particular method for upgrading, only that I accomplished it with an 18GB disk; and that replacing the 36GB drives with larger ones may not be required (depending of course, on how much space is occupied by non-O.S. files.)

The only reason I mentioned my method was to avoid any presumption that my 18gig LV layout would be acceptable for a cold-install (though I expect that it should be.)

-Dan
...skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor

Steven,

A question for you,
(at the risk of dragging this thread off in a different direction :)

Most of the problems I had using Update-UX to upgrade from 11.11 to 11.23 were only nuisance issues; what kind of "stability" issues can be caused by this method?

As I mentioned, this was my first attempt at upgrading using Update-UX, and everything seems fine - but then again it is a low usage test box...
Anything in particular I should double-check?

I may just blow this away and do the cold-install/restore method just for the sake of comparison.