3673 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Harddisk Read Error

Mohd Mohtar
Frequent Advisor

Harddisk Read Error

Hi,

Recently, I've run STM on the hard disks in my Unix server. In the information tool log, there is a read error count of 28 on one of my harddisk.

I've issued "dd if=/dev/dsk/c6t14d0 of=/dev/null bs=1024k" to check for any bad sectors. The return results is okay.

My questions are :

1)With the read error count of 28, do I need to change the harddisk, even if the dd results is okay.

2)Is the figure reflected on the read error or write error an influential factor to replace the harddisk. If so, what is the alarming/critical no.

3)I've been advised to reformat the harddisk. Will this help to clear off the read error?

4)If I were to issue a reformat, how I do determine whether the hardisk is a main or mirrored harddisk ?

Apologise for this lengthty questions as I need to be certain before I called the shots to replace the harddisk.

Thanks in Advance.

Mok

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to HP-UX > sysadmin. -HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

I always recommend, if in doubt get it changed (for disks), you just never know. That is why we pay maintenance. You could format the disk, but I don't see that you will gain anything from it.

To see where the disk is utilised, type in this:

# pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/c6t14d0

If it is in a mirrored pair, it will show you the volume group and logical volume assignments.

There are plenty of postings in the forum on replacing disks and disks that are mirrored. If you are in doubt, let us know.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

In theory you should change it, however, usually, it depends on you sensitivity of data. If your data is sensitive, or if you don't have any mirroring, then by all means, change the harddisk before the actual crash happens! If you have mirroring or the data in it is not that important, you might as well delay the replacement. Bottom line is... eventually that disk should be replaced anyway.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Mohd Mohtar
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply. Would appreciate if you could provide me the postings in the forum on replacing disks and disks that are mirrored.

If it is okay with u guys, can I also have some enlightenment for Qns 1 & 2. Hopefully, the ans will help to clear any doubts I might have.

Thanks.

Mok
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Do not forget to make regular backups to different media (in case backup will fail you'll have previous good backup)
Eugeny