Occasional Contributor

How to check multipath on HP-UX server

How to check multipath on HP-UX server
6 REPLIES 6
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to check multipath on HP-UX server

Hi Zailani

Can we have more information regarding your server? Which HP UX version it is ?

If the server is older or HPUX 11i V2 then it may use PVlinks or if patched enough to the latest, you will have Agile device names which is a default feature of 11i V3(called Native Multipathing).

You can identify PVlinks if they are used, using vgdisplay -v vgname command.
You can check the lvmtab file also to see the kind of multipathing used.

# strings /etc/lvmtab

Or if Agile device names(Native Multipathing) are used then ioscan -fnNkC disk and ioscan -m dsf can help you to see the necessary output.

There is another chance that a third party or add on multipathing (eg Securepath) software is used, in such case you need to use software specific commands to administer them.

Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Zailani

Apart from this, ioscan -fnC disk, the evainfo (EVA) and xpinfo (XP) commands (depending on the storage)can be used to identify luns and multipaths

Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

In HPUX 11iv2 operating systems to manage multipathing we used third party tools like secure path, auto path etc. but in HPUX 11iv3 operating systems, it is native to the O.S and hence a single command called as ioscan -m hwpath will give you the number of paths related to the virtualized hardware address but to know this you should be aware that 64000/0xfa00/LUNID is the h/w address related to the LUN itself rather than the lunpath. When the above command is executed it maps this address to the legacy and the FC lunpath hardware path as well allowing you to know how many paths are there for that particular LUN. Otherwise you can just execute the command scsimgr -D lun_map (which will give the number of paths to that lun). This is the best possible answer i can give you and the most effective one. Hope this solves your question.
Regards
Ismail
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
EmmanuelK2
Advisor

Muhamad,
On HP UX 11i v3, issue this command.
ioscan -m lun
The result is a listing of the device HWPath, and the corresponding LUNPaths. This however does not give the status os the paths.The command
ioscan -m lun -H H/WPath(64000/0xfa00/0x0)
gives more detail on the status of each path, say online, standby....
Noushad P K

Try

scsimgr lun_map

Regards
NouZ
Uttam_2

Check my blog for Multipathing checks on Hp 11iv3 and you can download my tool from the blog

http://uttamdravidam.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-check-multipathing-in-11iv3-and.html