Operating System - HP-UX
1748167 Members
4039 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to copy one DLT tape to another across network?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex Georgiev_1
Occasional Advisor

How to copy one DLT tape to another across network?

[This message also posted to the tape libraries & drive forum.]

I need to copy one DLT 7000 tape to another. I have two machines, each with a DLT 7000 drive, each running HP-UX 11. I can't seem to come up with anything more creative than using dd(1).

Anyone have any experience copying tapes from one machine to another? How did you do it?

Is dd going to work across the network? If so, what block size gives the best performance?

Btw, the original tape was created with fbackup(1M).
3 REPLIES 3
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, this can't be done. The volumes (tape) created using fbackup command cannot be duplicated by dd command due to the different format that it use. The media duplication with dd is possible with tar, cpio etc.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Brad Marks
Super Advisor
Solution

A clumsy but effective tack would be to restore the data to an empty directory and then backup that data to new DLT cartridge.
It's not impossible -- it'll just cost more...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

To amplify what Shiju said, fbackup uses several different record sizes and unfortunately, Unix does not have a utility that can read different record sizes and write the same size as output. Unlike simple tools like cpio, tar, pax, etc, fbackup uses a more mainframe-like method that writes different types and sizes of records and frecover expects these sizes to be retained. So you'll have to locatea program that can read variable length records and filemarks, then transmit the data and definition to a remote program that will reproduce the same result.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin