7097 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to make CPU usage more then 50%

mudongxiao
Advisor

How to make CPU usage more then 50%

I have a HP-UNIX server (rp4440) with 2 CPUs running HP-UNIX 11i

I run program very slowly, I checked the CPU usage is always below 50%, or just equal to 50%. I checked the details of the CPU usage,
I found both of the CPU working, only thing is the average of the CPU usage are 50%.

For examble, CPU #1 go to 80%, then CPU #2 reduce to 20%. If CPU #1 go to 40%, then CPU #2 reduce to 60%. the average is around 50%

I launch the xload, the usage graph is flat (50%).

Is there any Kernel parameter, I can ajust to make the program use more CUP?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

HI:

You *want* to use more CPU?

Change the 'timeslice' kernel parameter. Lower it toward one (1). You will spend more cycles context switching processes and thus increase CPU utilization.

A long, long time ago, we actually considered doing something like this on a mainframe to *slow* down the transaction response time for our user community. The idea was that if the end-user got accustomed to (for example) 3-second response time, then we would lift the governor (so to speak) when we *really* needed more horsepower for a higher transaction load, yet response time would remain constant.

Regards!

...JRF...
DCE
Honored Contributor

If you are having performance problems, lok for other problems with the system taht do not allow the CPU's to work harder

Potential bottlenecks
disk utilztion is at 100%
memory utilzation is at 100%
network utilzation is at 100%

any of the above will cause the system performance to suffer. Eliminating the cause of the bottleneck will make your system perform better

You can easily monitor all of the above via glance
mudongxiao
Advisor

Doesn't work. Please see teh attachment
mudongxiao
Advisor

Actually, Memory and network are not busy.
Looks like CUP usage touch a limit.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

mudongxiao
Advisor

I checked the most process's stop reason are "SOCKET"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The reason for a program to stop is that it is waiting on some external task, whether it is an I/O, a library call for time of day, a semaphore or SOCKET which means that the program cannot proceed because the socket communication has not completed. It's very important to note that these reasons are a very small snapshot of what the program is doing. If the program is gathering information from a remote server, the compute time is extremely small compared to the time required to complete a network call.

Now if you could watch the status at ten thousand times per second, you'd see the program doing what it is supposed to do. Wait states do NOT mean the program is being impeded or slowed down. You don't want the program just a part of a record to speed things up. My previous example script will show RUN state because it does nothing at all except loop around -- not very practical.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin