Operating System - HP-UX
1748165 Members
3926 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to see and clear failed log in attempts in HP-UX 11.23 and 11.31 in shadow password system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Senthil_N
Advisor

How to see and clear failed log in attempts in HPUX 11.23 and 11.31 in shadow password system

Hi All,

I am using HPUX 11.23 and 11.31.

Shadow mode is configured /etc/shadow.

I have enabled "AUTH_MAXTRIES=3" i /etc/default/security.

It is working fine.

How can check how many failure attempts a user tried and how to clear that. 

Actually I am looking for a Linux command like "faillog" in hpux.

If there no command in hpux like faillog. Please let me know how can we do this.

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to see and clear failed log in attempts in HP-UX 11.23 and 11.31 in shadow password system

root can look at all failed attempts by using lastb(1).  Either all or for specific users.

Senthil_N
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

Yes we can see bad login details from lastb.

But I am asking some thing different.

For example, In linux, if you can use the command "faillog" to see max fail login attemps. and using same commnad you clear the fail login attempts. So that user can log in to the server using same password.

So I am looking for the command in HPUX for same purpose.

If there is no command in HPUX, then how we can do this.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>So I am looking for the command in HP-UX for same purpose.

Have you looked at:

passwd -s

logins

userstat

userdbget

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

With "userstat -a maxtries", you will see a list of all users that are currently locked because of too many failed login attempts, and also the current number of failed attempts for those users.

If you want to check the current number of failed logins for a specific user, then "userdbget -u <username> auth_failures" should give you that information.

The AUTH_MAXTRIES paragraph in security(4) man page says that an account that has been locked because of too many failed logins can be unlocked with:

userdbset -d -u <username> auth_failures

(That example was not quite as easy to find as I expected, as neither userdbset(1M) nor userdbget(1M) man page talk about the auth_failures attribute at all. A helpful example would have been nice, since this might be a common question in high-security environments.)

MK
Senthil_N
Advisor

Hi Matti,

Thank a lot. This is what I want.