Operating System - HP-UX
1745833 Members
4147 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to tune "effective_maxpid" in 11iV2?

Arunvijai.S
Frequent Advisor

How to tune "effective_maxpid" in 11iV2?

Hello All,

I would like to get and increase "effective_maxpid" parameter with my 11iV2 servers. Kindly let me know the steps for this process .

Thanks,
Arun
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

I have a 11iV2 system I cannot see this parameter anymore. It used to be 11i V1 (PA-RISC) but not on Itanium
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Arunvijai.S
Frequent Advisor

Yes, You are correct.If it is not available, Can't we increase PID on 11iv2 ?

Thanks,
Arun

Manish Srivastava
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

You can increase the nproc and then try to create processess to get higher PID's.
In future releases we have a tunable to increase the pid value.

manish.
Arunvijai.S
Frequent Advisor

Hello Manish,

I tried increasing nproc value and tried with creating PIDs greater than 30000. Still, I am not able to create any PIDs value which is greater than 29999.
(@(#) $Revision: vmunix: B11.23_LR FLAVOR=perf Fri Aug 29 22:35:38 PDT 2003 $
)

Thanks,
Arun
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

'nproc' will only increase the number of processes allowed to be run on the system, not the actual numbering, which is what you seem to be after

I'm not sure why you would really want it anyway ...

I guess we need a reason as to why this parameter was removed between 11i V1 and 11i V2
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Arunvijai.S
Frequent Advisor

Yes, You are right. Any experts can clarify this ?

Arun
doug hosking
Esteemed Contributor

You're playing with fire if you change this today. Raising this has to be a coordinated change across a wide range of software, including lots of user space code in addition to the kernel. If you change that parameter without making a bunch of related changes, you are inviting major stability and potential security problems. HP is well aware of the desire to raise this limit. But doing it safely requires a lot of work that is not complete at this time. HP does not intend for this setting to be modified by customers in currently released software.