108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IP Conflict

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Larkin
Occasional Advisor

IP Conflict

I'm hoping somebody can give me a little help. I have two K460s tha I'm re-configuring to be used for a new project. I got system A up and running and then used Ignite to make a tape to clone system B with. Both systems use a FDDI connection to access the network. The built in lan is disabled. When system B is up, system A loses connectivity to the network. As soon as I shutdown system B, system A is back online. I'm assuming that there's something on system B that's using system A's (the Ignite source) IP, but I can't find it. SAM shows the right IP for system B's FDDI. Where did I go wrong? Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Judy Traynor
Valued Contributor
Solution

cd /etc/rc.config.d/

look in the fiddi config file

note the mac address -
make sure they are not the same.
in Netconf, make sure the ip addresses are different.

reboot one of the machines.
Sail With the Wind
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

put one server off and then assign different ip to host B and then bring up hosts A. Check IP and let us know the errors if any.

There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Bob,

If the IPs are correct in the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file, I'd check the /etc/rc.config.d/hpfddiconf & make sure that they don't BOTH have the same HP_FDDI_STATION_ADDRESS value.
They have to be unique.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

If your original server had a 'hard wired' MAC address - check in /etc/rc.config.d/hphscfddiconf and look for the array variable HP_HSCFDDI_STATION_ADDRESS then your ignited server will have inherited it.

Duplicate MAC addresses cause big problems.

Regards,
John
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

Hi
Check in netconf and the fddi config file in /etc/rc.config.d/
On server B are you able to ping outside world?

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
Bob Larkin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, the station address looks like the problem. The hpfddiconf file on both systems shows the same station address. Now, how do I determine the correct address? The hpfddiconf file indicates that it can't be changed, how do I change it? Thanks again
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

Hi
Run lanscan to get mac addresses for cards.

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
Bob Larkin
Occasional Advisor

lanscan is showing the same address on both systems.
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI
In fact I would leave the station address in config file to be blank. so in future even in case you are required to change the fddi card due to failure, you will not have this problem.

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.