IEther-00 B.11.23.0609

Also

GigEther-00 B.11.23.0512
GigEther-01 B.11.23.0609
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Identying unknown PCI-Ethernet card

If you have all the drivers installed, you maybe have a wrong card installed. To be sure you need to pull it out and read the label.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

I'm afraid I agree with Torsten - looking at the internal matrices on cards for HP9000 servers, all cards that use the Broadcom 57xx ASICs seem to use the igelan driver which you obviously already have installed - I wonder if someone has installed an unsupported card in this system...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Timothy Nibbe
Advisor

Thank you all for your replies, I will physically check the card and I will also check the invoices; it sounds like our VAR could have installed an incorrect card.

Thank you again.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Those hex digits are _probably_ PCI vendor and product IDs. Looking on a Linux system does show that 14e4 is the vendor ID for broadcom, and 1654 is a product ID for a "NetXtreme BCM5705_2 Gigabit Ethernet" interface. Under that in my "pci.ids" file are listed three sets of subvendor/subproduct IDs:

0e11 00e3 NC7761 Gigabit Server Adapter
103c 3100 NC1020 ProLiant Gigabit Server Adapter 32 PCI
103c 3226 NC150T 4-port Gigabit Combo Switch & Adapter

0e11 is a Compaq vendor ID, and 103c is Hewlett-Packard.

An HP-UX NIC driver will only claim a card that has "known to it" HP subvendor ID and subproduct ID, and I'm quite confident that there is no way it would claim a Compaq subvendor ID, nor the subproduct IDs of those other two NICs. I suspect that indeed someone has inserted an unsupported NIC into the system.

The only NICs which will have "known to the HP-UX driver" subproduct IDs are those which are actually sold for HP-UX systems - HP 9000 or Integrity. Something sold for HP ProLiants is not sufficient, even if it is an "HP" NIC.

I suspect the only way that NIC would be claimed in an rp3440 would be to have the rp3440 run Linux, where the drivers are far less discriminating :)

As for which of those three NICs it might be, if there is a way to get ioscan to give subvendor/subproduct IDs that would tell you, otherwise, you are indeed going to have to make a physical examination of the card - unless offline diags can pull the info somehow.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
rick jones
Honored Contributor

BTW, the pci.ids file used under Linux (in this case Ubuntu) is maintained via http://pciids.sf.net/
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows