108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite/UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joel Shank
Valued Contributor

Ignite/UX

I am trying to streamline my Disaster Recovery procedure and need to know if Ignite/UX can help. Can I use Ignite to create a bootable tape that will restore my entire system, including additional software (MirrorDisk, SNAPlus2, etc) and current patch level to another server? For example, create an recovery tape from a K360 and recover it on a K580? What about user data files, can I recover those also? Also, what about third-party products (like SQL BackTrack)? I'd like to know if any or all of this is possible and I should investigate Ignite further, or if I should just stick to what I am doing now, which is restoring the OS from scratch, applying patches and using fbackup/frecover to backup/restore user data. Is anyone doing something like this? How does it work? Any info would be greatly appreciated :-)
4 REPLIES 4
Joel Shank
Valued Contributor

I forgot to say that I have a mix of servers being recovered. All are 9000's, some are HPUX 10.20 and some are HPUX 11.00.
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ignite/UX makes a GREAT disaster recovery tool. The streamlined process I use to recover a system is:
1) Boot from make_recovery tape
2) Load OnmiBack software
3) Configure documented disk layout
4) Restore data from OmniBack tapes.

This is basic outline I have used during two successfull DR tests offsite.
The only thing to watch out for is recovering on a similar system. Ideally the same system i.e. K580 - K580
All OS information will be restored from the make_recovery tape.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Ahmed Ibrahim_2

Hi,
The way that you are doing it is good but it require lot of time. i have used it before. But using ignite option will save for you a time.
Use the following to have fast recover.

1)run a make_recovery -A
2)Full Backup daily

Best Regards

Ahmed

Thomas G. Tudrej
Frequent Advisor

hi,

The recommended way for use of IUX for DR is to:

1 restore the OS with IUX make_recovery tape
2 restore data from backup tapes
(make_recovery -A does not take care of all of your application data, usually, it only makes sure that directories confidered to be part of "core OS" make it to tape)

There is a way to cheat though, have a look at /var/opt/ignite/recovery/makrec.append and expand on the idea.

If you are going to be making tapes for systems that are oot identical and want noniteractive installs, edit /var/opt/ignite/restore/config.recover on the source. This file from target comes in handy here. Usually the network and hardware secions have to be copied over.

remember to read up on in instl_adm(4).

regards,
TTudrej