Operating System - HP-UX
1748259 Members
3866 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: It's not possibly to log in when the root file system is full (Trusted Mode)

Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Re: It's not possibly to log in when the root file system is full (Trusted Mode)

Hello, again.

You say you have daemons running as root and you can't change them, but it goes to what I'm saying before with respect to applications and their locations. Lots of things are installed in /opt, but if it isn't a separate filesystem, it will fill up / eventually if not watched.

I think Harry made an excellent suggestion in that you post your bdf output (when you get things back under control), so that we may possibly assist in making a more efficient fs structure for you.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Do "mkdir /core" this will prevent core file from being dumped in /.

HTH
Marty
Augusto Vinhaes
Frequent Advisor

I think the file system lay-out is not so bad and /opt is already a separate fs. The df -n output follows:

/oraads/oradata /dev/vg_ads/lv_adsdat
/orabdom/oradata /dev/vg_bdom/lv_bdomdata
/orabdom/REDO_B /dev/vg_bdom/lv_bdomredob
/orabdom/REDO_A /dev/vg_bdom/lv_bdomredoa
/orabdom/bdomarch /dev/vg_bdom/lv_bdomarch
/orabdom /dev/vg_bdom/lv_orabdom1
/adspd01/mon_arch/bdom /dev/vg_bdom/lv_monarch
/adspd01/mon_arch/rmdy /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_monarch
/itsmbck /dev/vg_itsm/lv_itsmbck
/wom clapkg.dtc.intelig:/wom
/aspf_ixdm /dev/vg_ads/lv_ixdm
/oraads/ads_log2b /dev/vg_ads/lv_log2b
/oraads/ads_log2a /dev/vg_ads/lv_log2a
/oraads/ads_log1b /dev/vg_ads/lv_log1b
/oraads/ads_log1a /dev/vg_ads/lv_log1a
/oraads /dev/vg_ads/lv_oraads
/AlmaDelivery /dev/vg_ads/lv_ads
/app/rmdy /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdy1
/orarmdy/rmdyarch /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdyarc
/rmdydata02 /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdyd02
/rmdydata01 /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdyd01
/orarmdy/rmdy_log2b /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdyl2b
/orarmdy/rmdy_log2a /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdyl2a
/orarmdy/rmdy_log1b /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdyl1b
/orarmdy/rmdy_log1a /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdyl1a
/orarmdy /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_orarmdy
/app/remedy /dev/vg_rmdy/lv_rmdy
/itsm /dev/vg_itsm/lv_itsm
/ora_log1/oradata /dev/vg_itsm/lv_itsmlog1
/ora_log2/oradata /dev/vg_itsm/lv_itsmlog2
/oraarch/itsm /dev/vg_itsm/lv_architsm
/oraitsm /dev/vg_itsm/lv_oraitsm
/oraweb /dev/vg_itsm/lv_oraweb
/archives /dev/vg_arc/lv_arc
/home /dev/vg00/lvol5
/opt /dev/vg00/lvol6
/tmp /dev/vg00/lvol4
/usr /dev/vg00/lvol7
/var /dev/vg00/lvol8
/stand /dev/vg00/lvol1
/ /dev/vg00/lvol3

Rgds,
Augusto
Augusto
Pierce Byrne_1
Frequent Advisor

is it possible that one of your filesystems isn't mount?
Augusto Vinhaes
Frequent Advisor

Hi !

Someone from HP told me to create a separate fs for /tcb. I've asked him if there's some problem to boot in single user mode and He said that there's no problem. Is there some problem ?
Augusto
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi Augusto,

I wouldn't recommend having /tcb as a separate file system. Here's some reasons why:

* it would not be mounted in single user mode
* it could be unmounted or replaced - causing problems if someone tried to login, change a password or anything else that would read/write /tcb.
* /tcb is generally a very small directory in terms of bytes used.
As stated near the top of this thread, you need to investigate why / is filling up rather than avoiding the issue and using potentially dangerous workarounds.

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If this is your production machine, don't do it. While it might work, you are simply putting a bandage over a very serious problem.

First, there should be *NO* core files in / This is likely because root's $HOME is still in the worst possible location: /

To prevent major disasters (such as the / filesystem filling up or accidently removing every file and directory in the entire computer), move root's $HOME immediately. Start by creating a separate root $HOME, perhaps on /home/root. Then move *all* files from / to root's new $HOME and change /etc/passwd from / to /home/root. I call these files: root droppings (sort of like bird droppings). Verify that all is well by logging through another window.

Now when you go to single user mode, you'll get a warning about /home/root not existing. Not to worry, just type: mkdir /home/root and you won't see the error again. To get back root's $HOME with all the files, type: mount /home

Now if /home/root has a significant number of files (and more important, large files), you and your other root users must stop creating large numbers of files in root's $HOME. root is much too powerful to be used for anything except system maintenance. (see reference to root droppings above)

You also need to identify the core files by using the file command: file /core to see what the name of the process or daemon might be and contact the programmer to get it fixed.

Finally, summarize the / directory by filesystem using:

du -kx / | sort -rn > /var/tmp/du.slash

Then look at the top directories to see where all the space is being used. Any application directories must be moved out of the / directory. If necessary, use symlinks to keep the old directory name and move the app to /opt/ where it belongs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Well put, Bill, as well as the others who have responded previously.

It wasn't me!!!!