4694 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Jetadmin addqueue issue.

Patrick Ware_1
Super Advisor

Jetadmin addqueue issue.

Hello all,

I wrote a script that adds printer queues to our servers. It is based on the addqueue command. I have noticed on a couple of the servers, I get the following error:

ssh server7 /opt/hpnp/bin/addqueue -i 9991 -q somequeue -h 10.10.10.145

Could not create the queue

Why would I get this error? What would keep the queue from being created, and what should I look for?
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Ware_1
Super Advisor

Interesting enough, hours later, I tried to add the queue again, and it worked! I am almost under the impression that when I tried to add the printer to the servers earlier, the queue could not be stopped to add the printer queues.
Patrick Ware_1
Super Advisor

Oh, one more thing I added to the begining of the line was the following:

lpshut ; lpsched ; sleep 02

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Anytime a new queue is added to the lp subsystem the scheduler must be stopped and then restarted afterwards. Your "addition" was not an option and in fact, you need to change it to 1) lpshut 2) addqueue 3) lpsched.

(This is one of the nice features of the newer lp subsystem available on 11.31 in that queues can be added "on the fly".)
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Another possibility is that the printer was not working correctly at the time the printer was added. addqueue will request details from the printer such as model number and if the printer does not respond as expected, you might get the reported error. Using hpnpadmin is a good way to verify the remote printer before running addqueue. Options -Ai is a good start.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin