4115 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LUN cloning and LVM.

mpua
Frequent Advisor

LUN cloning and LVM.

Hi there,

In order to carry out some tasks related to Oracle databases, my boss wants the Storage team to replicate (manually, with FlashCopy) the data between two LUNS presented to two different servers.

Question is, How should we manage that in SO (HP-UX 11.23 & 11.31)? Should we vgimport the cloned LUN in the target server??

4 REPLIES 4
Ralf_Wegener
Regular Advisor

From an HP TRIM point of view (in my own personal view)....At the application level the metadata (oracle) and the content store (NTFS or some volume on a server that is backed up according to ones regime is irrelevant). Application (HP TRIM) should not impact on how IT or your technical support team manage the data from an infrastructure point of view...

**My opinions are my own personal opinions.

kapish.com.au
Ralf_Wegener
Regular Advisor

Furthermore, im sure the4re many post on this site or through the HP support (openview) site to assist when attempting to replicate production data with settings to a non production environment to UAT purposes.

**My opinions are my own personal opinions.

kapish.com.au
mpua
Frequent Advisor

Both are Production, it's gonna be a filesystem for dumping the database export in one of them and for performing the import on the other node, they wanna do it with a FlashCopy to avoid using the network for sending the (big) import file to the other machine.

I did perform a search before and found nothing that solved my query, which is about LVM and cloned LUNs. I think I have to  perform a vgchid and vgimport on the cloned LUN but still not completely sure.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

When the LUN(s) are replicated, you can import the VG on the remote server. vgchid isn't needed and it will be overwritten the next time data is synced. But most important, the data updates must stop once the VG is activated and the lvols mounted. The remote VxFS filesystem code is unable to handle any changes that are made to the filesystem once the VG and LVs are mounted. And when the lvols are mounted, they will require fsck to fix the directory structures since the filesystem was not unmounted when the replication took place.

To update the LUN(s), the LVs must be unmounted, then the VG deactivated and then sync the LUN(s). When complete, the VG can be activated again and the LVs mounted.

If the lvols are raw (ASM), then it is up to the local Oracle tools to handle live updates.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin