New Discussion

LUN hardware path and lunpath hardware path

SOLVED
Go to solution
Abubakkar
Frequent Contributor

LUN hardware path and lunpath hardware path

Dear Friends,

Please explain what is mean LUN hardware path 64000/0xfa00/0x0 and  lunpath hardware path  0/1/1/1.0x3.0x0

1 REPLY 1
pradeep m
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: LUN hardware path and lunpath hardware path

Hi,

In HP-UX 11.31, a new agile addressing scheme for mass storage devices is used.

The agile addressing scheme defines two new sets of hardware paths for each device:
The LUN hardware path: is a virtualized path, which represents the LUN independently of any of its I/O paths.
A set of lunpath hardware paths: each represents a specific I/O path to the LUN and maps to a single legacy hardware path. The format of the lunpath hardware path is different from the legacy hardware path and depends on the SCSI transport.

LUN hardware path format:
The virtualized LUN hardware path is built using the following elements:
• The root node of all virtual devices: by convention this has the constant address 64000. Virtual devices in the context of the I/O tree are devices for which the hardware path does not represent any physical location of the device.
• The virtual bus address under which all LUN nodes are attached: by convention this has the constant address 0xfa00.
• A virtual LUN identifier corresponding to the hexadecimal representation of the default minor number assigned to the device in the agile view.

So the hardware path of a LUN will always have the following format: 64000/0xfa00/0xh, where h is the hexadecimal representation of the default minor number assigned to the device

Lunpath hardware path format:
The format of the lunpath hardware path is as follows:
• <HBA hw path>.<target port WWN or port id>.<SCSI-3 LUNid>
Where:
• HBA hw path: legacy HBA hardware path (example: 0/3/1/0).
• target port WWN or port id: hexadecimal representation of the target port Worldwide name (WWN), or the target port identifier if the SCSI transport does not support WWN (example: 0x21000020370fe8c8 for WWN, and 0x0 for port id).
• SCSI-3 LUNid: hexadecimal representation of the SCSI-3 64 bit LUN identifier.

For more detailed information, refer the below HP Whitepaper on HP-UX 11i v3 Mass Storage Device Naming:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01906504/c01906504.pdf

Regards,
Pradeep

I am an HP Employee
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details