108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LVM and /usr question..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Fadrowski
Super Advisor

LVM and /usr question..

I need to extend /usr on vg00. I am running 11.23 v2 on an itanium server. Please help me refresh my memory on how to do this... This server is not running jfsonline. I am not sure, but i believe i have to go to single user mode. Can i go to init1 on a running system to get it to single user mode or can i boot to single user mode? and how..

then i know i have to unmount /user
then lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol5
then fsextend

is this correct?
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

For HP-UX, init cannot move to single user mode. The only way is to reboot, interrupt the boot process, then select primary boot path and answer yes to interact with ISL. When you get the ISL prompt, type:

hpux -is

(note: not hp-ux) Then you use lvextend (remember to use -L for megs rather than the obtuse -l for extent quantity. The -L is the total new size. Once the lvol is larger (check with lvdisplay), then run extendfs to extend the file system.

While you are still running, you might look at the biggest directories:

du -kx /usr | sort -rn | head

You might an oddball directory like /usr/local or /usr/contrib that is way too big, probably due to a leftover file or possible core dump.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
TTr
Honored Contributor

Actually on the itanium server the boot process is a little bit different.

After shutting down and rebooting, you will get the EFI menu with a 10 second countdown. Use the arrow keys and select the "Boot HP-UX" option and hit Enter. Again you get a 10 second countdown, hit any key to interrupt and then this is where you type "hpux -is".
G.Sivakumar
Occasional Advisor

After Reboot you have to reach HPUX prompt by using the EFI menu.
Use "HPUX> boot vmunix -is" to boot in to
single user mode.
Then use the lvextend and extendfs to extend the file system.

(I hope the 11.23v2 should have onlineJFS, Please double check once)
Chris Fadrowski
Super Advisor

thanks for all your help! points assigned