5682 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Linux 6.2 time sync using NTP

sanjit chand_1
Occasional Contributor

Linux 6.2 time sync using NTP

Hello everyone,

can anyone tell me ways to syncronize the time on my linux workstation against our local network. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there are any more information that I can add to better understand this question.
Never to late to learn
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Linux 6.2 time sync using NTP

Do you want to syncronize your linux machine with a NTP server or you want to syncronize a different machine with your linux server ?.
Once you have downloaded the rpm binary, read the documentation available in file /usr/share/doc/ntp-4.0.99j/index.htm

this is the latest binary
ntp-4.0.99j-7.i386.rpm

Do you have it ?
sanjit chand_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Marco,

I wonna be able to sync my Linux workstation with other pc's within my network. I don't have the binary file so can you pls tell me where to get it from. Also on linux6.2, as far as I can see there is a doc directory but I didn't see any kind of document in regards to ntp. Thanks for your time and your help will bne greatly appreciated.
Never to late to learn
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

The easiest way to locate rpm packages for RedHat Linux is at http://rpmfind.net (or fr.rpmfind.net). In the search box enter the name of the package without revision numbers and a complete list of available rpms for a variety of Linus distributions will appear. RedHat i386 rpms will be highlighted in green. Simply click on the referenced link and download it. There is also a html link that displays an info page for the package. In many cases specific files are referenced in the search engine as well. This makes it handy locate rpms when you are looking for a particular library file. There is also the rpmfind utility that will take a lot of the guess work out of this. It polls the rpmfind database and suggests a specific rpm package based on the Linux distribution you are running and then it allows you to download it. There are all sorts of references on the site for more info.

You didn't mention what you have running on your various pc's. WinNT and Win2K both have the ntp client as part of the of the associated resource kit. Where it is a service it will not run on 9x/ME pc's though and I have not seen an ntp client for these machines either. If you have at least one NT or W2K box, you can have it sync with a standard using ntp and the other non-NT based pc's can sync with the NT box using NET TIME. In my situation, I have the NT boxes syncing with a Linux machine that is running ntp as both client and server. The Linux box gets its time syncing from an internet time source.

http://www.cis.udel.edu/~ntp/ is an extensive source of ntp information. It has listings of internet time sources and links to all sorts of additional information. After you install the rpm for Linux, it's usually just a case of specifying a couple of time source servers to get the ntp client running, and unlocking a some service ports to allow the server side to work.

Go to http://rpmfind.net/ and do a search for this binary, and install it typing rpm -Uvh ntp.....rpm, then just read the documentation, to see what is inside the rpm type rpm -qlp ntp.....rpm then you will see the path to the docs.

I could not attach the file because its size is 1.1 MB.