Operating System - Linux
1753893 Members
7636 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Linux options for a dc5100

dc5lx

Linux options for a dc5100

What versions of Linux are known to work on the dc5100 SFF? (One with basic on-board video). I know HP ships Suse with "Alternate OS" systems -- will that work if installed as a dual-boot on a dc5100 shipped with Windows XP?

A search brought up only a message about some problems with Fedora 4. Any other experiences with FC4?

I assume that experiences with dc5000 would also be relevant to the dc5100.

2 REPLIES 2
Ivlegensvi
Occasional Visitor

Re: Linux options for a dc5100

Pretty much any version that you need for it, Linux has total support for the machine, however so that you get the best performance out of this machine, I recommend you install the latest bios from hp's website using a windows os, then get a ati firemv 2250 or something of the specs similare to that or a little bit higher and then get an intel pentium 4 with 3.20ghz or higher and then find you a linux distro to install on your platform and you'll be good to go.

Ivlegensvi
Occasional Visitor

Re: Linux options for a dc5100

and about the dc5000, that particular model will be a little different because it doesn't support the new graphics cards with the x16 pci expansions so you'll have to find a pci gpu for the dc5000 and that one is also compatible with that model which nvidia and ati once again have some gpu's for that one too, but that one is a little limited on which gpus it will take, but it also supports an Intel Pentium 4 wiht a clock speed of 320 ghz, however, that one must be a 478 processor. and that hp can run mnay versions of linux but you will need the gpu power to support websites in this day and age.