New Discussion

Re: Memory usage on 11.31 hpvm

Carme Torca
Super Advisor

Memory usage on 11.31 ivm

Hi,

I would like to known  what means the memory information that appears on a top:

Memory: 6659100K (6572588K) real, 14723792K (14232220K) virtual, 1319692K free

if I have 12Gb real in the server and I only have one top, could I known that the system has 12Gb?. What I have to add?

Is there any command to see that? What are they meaning?

And another question. The server is one ivm and it is on 90-80% always on the ovo graphics. I would like to known (by commands) what % the server is using in process, what % it is using in system. The idea its add them all up and see the result that % used physical memory for each process and for the system.

Thanks a lot of,

Carmen.

Users are not too bad ;-)
2 REPLIES 2
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Re: Memory usage on 11.31 ivm

The HP support organization has the "kmeminfo" tool which shows not only the user-space memory but memory allocated in the kernel as well. Top will only give you a handle on the user-space memory that's available.

The remaining memory is probably allocated mostly to dynamic buffer cache - if you have dbc_max_pct set to the default of 50, the system will be able to use up to half of the memory for disk buffers.

If you run "swapinfo -t", it will show you the installed physical memory.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Memory usage on 11.31 hpvm

>I would like to known  what means the memory information that appears on a top:

I have found that the memory info from top less than helpful, only useful for rough estimates.

It's better to use other commands to get the right values:

swapinfo -tam

machinfo

glance ...

>The remaining memory is probably allocated mostly to dynamic buffer cache - if you have dbc_max_pct

On 11.31, that's the unified file cache and filecache_max.

>If you run "swapinfo -t", it will show you the installed physical memory.

No, "swapinfo -tam" only provides the swap space, not physical.  The memory line gives pseudoswap which depending on the OS version and the phases of the moon, is related to the physical memory by some obscure function.