4403 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Monitoring physically Proliant servers, snmp

techux
Occasional Advisor

Monitoring physically Proliant servers, snmp

Hi guys.

We are installing some centos, redhat and debian in proliants DL servers gen8 and  gen7..

I have configured net-snmp in the OS and can monitor basic stuff like memory, cpus, disk space...

But I would like to monitor physically the server, like fans, power supply, HDD..

I know there is a hp-snmp-agent for hp and redhat.. but I think this could get in conflict with the net-snmp already installed, right? does this hp-snmp allow me to monitor what I want?

in the other hand, debian 6.0.7 is not supported in the dl160g8 series. 

the manager/monitor is solarwinds., any tip where should I  start looking for?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Monitoring physically Proliant servers, snmp

Hp-snmp-agent will not conflict with net-snmp. In fact, it *requires* that the net-snmp server programs are installed, as the hp-snmp-agent will register itself as a sub-agent of net-snmp.

If you are using Debian with Proliant servers, this URL should be very useful to you: http://downloads.linux.hp.com/SDR/

There are the essential HP downloadables like hp-snmp-agent, for RHEL, SLES, OEL, CentOS, Fedora, Asianux... and Debian & Ubuntu.

(Though the Debian/Ubuntu packages might sometimes be a bit older versions than those offered for the supported enterprise distributions.)

In the "Getting started" section, you will find a bootstrap.sh script, that can register the SDR as a Debian-style repository for you, so that the HP tools can be updated with a simple "apt-get update" if you want. There are also instructions for mirroring the repository, if you prefer to download everything just once and then distributing the updates within your local network.

MK
techux
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I aprreciate it.

I still have some questions.

I downloaded and installed hp-snmp agent as well as the hp-healt in my redhat 5.

I ran the hpsnmpconf , set the rocommunity... but when  I run snmpwalk i get

#snmpwalk -v2c -c public localhost 1.3.6.1.4.1.232
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.232 = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

Should I install or configure something else? looks like it cant find the mib...

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Assuming that you're actually using the same community name you configured... what does "service hp-snmp-agents status" say? Does it say that the agents are running? Likewise, what does "service hp-health status" say?

If you run "hpasmcli -s "show server", do you get a valid-looking response?

The hpsnmpconf command adds a "dlmod" line to /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf. That line allows the agents to communicate with snmpd. The agents also have to communicate with the hardware: that's what the "hp-health" service is for.

The MIB information is actually built into the agents: if the agents can access their relevant bits of hardware, they will automatically publish their information in appropriate OIDs. The actual MIB file is only needed at the SNMP client, to convert the received information to human-readable form.

MK
techux
Occasional Advisor

besides the hp-health and hp-snmp-agents packages do I need to install something else in my redhat box?

I didnt install SIM.. so not sure if I need it.not sure if that is why it cant find the mibs or OID 

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.232 = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

The command

"hpasmcli -s "show server"

return the info/CPU info...as well as other parameters likes fan, powersupply...

techux
Occasional Advisor

Now I can run snmpwalk -v2c -c xxxxx localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.232

I re-run the hpsnmpconfig and it loaded the necessary module..

now how can I monitor raid controller, powersupply, fans, cpu, temp?.. I need to navigate to those OID to configure them from the snmp monitor solarwinds...

thanks