1752798 Members
5838 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Move LUNs a disk array to another with LVM mirror

Cdiaz
Occasional Contributor

Move LUNs a disk array to another with LVM mirror

My technical background is HP-UX systems. When we migrate systems to another storage cabinet we do it using LVM mirroring. We only stop the services to reconfigure the cluster lock disk.

I don’t have much experience with Linux RedHat and I’d like to know if there is a similar method available. If possible please indicate the general procedure and commands (as they are slightly different). In our environment we have multipath and Service Guard.

cdiasan
3 REPLIES 3
Arnaud Delaloy
Valued Contributor

Re: Move LUNs a disk array to another with LVM mirror

hello,

unfortuanately , there is nothing as practical on RHEL than HP-UX 's "lvextend -m 2 mylv mynewpvs"

To transfer our VGs from one array to another on RHEL servers, we used the   "pvmove" command,  that move the PEs one by one from one regular PV to another.

it doesn't care about the LVs above it , just make sure the destination is big enough..

the general syntax is

pvmove -i 120 /dev/mpath/mpath42OLD  /dev/mpath/mpath144NEW 

( the -i 120 is for displaying completion rate every 2 minute)

That's no true 3-way mirroring, but it is the closest for an online migration.

regarding MC/SG quorum disk migration with it, I have no experience whether it works or not.

TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Re: Move LUNs a disk array to another with LVM mirror

If you know HPUX LVM well, I don't believe you'll have any troubles. The only thing I've found missing is PVGs, and I've not seen lots of people using that to begin with. 

We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett