1753481 Members
4155 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving Large Mount Points of Data

Alice Round
Occasional Contributor

Moving Large Mount Points of Data

I've been testing different ways of moving data and the following results are what I've came up with: I'm looking for the fastest
way to move large mount points.

cd /baant_new
find . | cpio -pudmvl /var/crash/test

22 minutes this moved 3 GB

cd /baan_new
cp -Rp * /var/crash/test

22 minutes this moved 2 GB

I used Omniback 2.55 to backup /baan_new which was 8.5 GB to tape this took 45 minutes

Then I restore /baan_new to /var/crash/test using Omniback this took 1 hour and 12 minutes.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage > General to HP-UX > sysadmin. - Hp Forum moderator

10 REPLIES 10
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Moving Large Mount Points of Data

Not sure about the speed but I would also consider dump/vxdump to be an option as well. Will keep the perms and the access times.
Alice Round
Occasional Contributor

dump and vxdump only puts the filesystem
to tape. I'm really wanting to move large
mount points to a larger mount point.
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

I know this might sound like a silly question but have you tried the move command (mv)?

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Alice Round
Occasional Contributor

We aren't using the mv command because we want the data left where it's located for recovery.
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

did you try using tar or pax? eg.

cd fromdir ; tar cf - . | ( cd todir ; tar xf -i )
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

dump/vxdump will put anywhere you want, including another disk or another system
Antoanetta Naghiu
Esteemed Contributor

dd command could be a option... I never tried it disk-disk but should be fast.
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

dd is a very good option if you want to quickly copy data from one place to another. The output file needs to be the same or of greater size than the input file. The block size option should be used due to the default being 512 bytes. An example is as follows:
dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t15d0 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t6d0 bs=1024k

I'm sorry about my first response, I was under the assumption you wanted to "move" the data.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have Mirror/UX? A possibility is to mirror the data and then do a lvsplit. Then mount up the split copy of the mirror to your new mount point. Then if you have On-Line JFS you could lvextend your volumes.
There is a document on the ITRC - ID X1401978- that discusses doing this for booting off of a split mirror.
I did this several times while testing a UX 11.0 upgrade. It might work for you and it would be 95% on-line.