Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NFS issues -- argh.

NFS issues -- argh.

# uname -a
OSF1 lapacho V5.1 2650 alpha

Folks, having some NFS client issues on a Tru64 machine. Some sort of stale file handle between the Tru64 box and a RHEL4.7 NFS server.

I ran /sbin/init.d/nfsmount stop -- which complained about some other NFS mounts in use. I killed the processes locking those and unmounted them.

However, running nfsmount now:

# ./nfsmount start
Mounting NFS filesystems
NFS2 server lapacho not responding still trying

Why it's trying to talk to itself, I don't know. I tried restart the nfs daemon to no avail, commands like df just hang and don't respond to kill -9 either.

The users on this box really do not want to reboot it -- what else can be done to just kill all this NFS stuff? I suppose I need to start killing random processes that may be locking things...

Is there a way to find out what's mounted currently on the system (cat /proc/mounts in Linux) or something like lsof to see what open file handles there are? I guess fuser would work perhaps...

Regular Advisor

Re: NFS issues -- argh.

Can you please be a bit more specific?
What machine is the server?
What machine is the client?
Please specify (extracts from) /etc/exports and /etc/fstab

NFS must be started on the NFS server machine with /etc/exports

On the client machine you need to have /etc/fstab and use mount to mount the remote file system.

Why are you using NFS2 and not NFS3?

In the end we rebooted the machine to clear the issue up (after getting advice from HP Tru64 support).

I don't know why it reported the NFSv2 error. The server in question is itself -- why it would be trying to talk to its own NFS server using v2 is beyond me. :-)

In any case, the automount process was in an uninterruptible sleep state with a parent process of "1", so there was no way to kill it without rebooting.

I rebooted and disabled the old "automount" daemon which I am told can get confused fairly easily. In its place we're using autofs which I'm hopeful will be a little bit more robust.

Still not totally clear what happened on this machine to cause the issues but everything is back to normal for the moment.

Thanks much!

Rebooted machine and switched to autofs automounter.