108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC Driver Install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Duffster
Valued Contributor

NIC Driver Install

I have recently installed RHEL 5.4 but need to install the correct NIC drivers in order to gain network connectivity. Eth0 is currently using driver bnx2x but  I am using a "HP Ethernet Pass Thru Module" and so I am trying to install driver e1000 .

So I have run a "make install" on the e1000 src dir and all seem good until I try and include/add the module I get the following error:

insmod: error inserting <path_to_e1000.ko>: -1 Invalid module format

Has anybody seen this before or know what the problem might be??

R,

D.

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

This seems strange: e1000 is the driver for certain Intel gigabit NICs (mainly PCI/PCI-X I think), and bnx2x is for Broadcom NICs. As the bnx2x apparently is auto-detected for your eth0 (by PCI device manufacturer ID and device ID wildcard), your NIC chips are probably manufactured by Broadcom, not by Intel. You'll probably need a newer version of the appropriate Broadcom NIC driver.

Since you talk about "Pass Thru Module", you probably have some sort of blade hardware, probably c-class blades. What's the exact blade model you have? A typical model number could be BL460c G5, for example.

In HP blade hardware, the type of I/O module does not change the type of the required driver (although some advanced I/O modules may require a higher version of the driver), since the actual NIC chip is in the blade, either integrated in the system board of the blade, or on a mezzanine card. The blade NIC uses a common wiring in the chassis backplane to communicate with the I/O module. The Pass Thru module is the simplest possible I/O module type: essentially it's little more than a signal converter for changing the signals coming from the blade NIC to a format suitable for the network cables, and vice versa.

I don't recall Intel NICs being used in c-class Proliant blades at all (but I might be wrong).

MK
Duffster
Valued Contributor
Solution

Issue now resolved. Incidently nothing to do with the drivers as the bnx2x driver is the correct driver for the NIC (HP Pass-Thru Module). The switch that the Pass-Thru module was talking to was a 3COM 100MB and does not have 1G capability. The 3COM Switch is not compatible as the HP Ethernet Pass-Thru module does not auto negotiate and will not accept commands to operate at any uplink speed other than 1Gb. Solution was to upgrade/change the switch to which my NIC was talking.