New Discussion юеВ

Re: NTP Server / Client Configurations

SOLVED
Go to solution
Muhammad Ahmad
Frequent Advisor

NTP Server / Client Configurations

Hi,

I wanna configure my 1 local machine as NTP Server and the other 3 Machines as its NTP Clients.

for this purpose i have choosen the following configurations, and looking for the guru's :)) feedback/suggestions/recommendations to fill the loopholes before they can cause any trouble.

NTP Server Configurations:

/etc/ntp.conf:

server 127.127.1.1
fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 8
broadcast 192.168.2.255

NTP Client Configurations;

/etc/ntp.conf:

broadcastclient yes
driftfile /var/adm/ntp.drift

"/etc/TIMEZONE" have the same values both on server / clients.

"/etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons" contains:
XNTPD=1

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't set

broadcastclient yes

Be specifc:

server yourntpserver.yourdomain.com

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

in /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons you also should set your
export NTPDATE_SERVER=

This also helped me:
http://www.docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90685/ch07s01.html#chbdhfdd

and some older ntp threads here.

Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Charles Holland
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Muhammad,
You will either have to 1) make an entry into the /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons to specify your NTPDATE_SERVER -or- you may simply make the entry in your /etc/ntp.conf file.

It appears that currently your are not getting your time from any source, other than the internal clock of your NTP server. These can become *very* unreliable and you should source the time from some ntp stratum server on the internet. Here is a source that you may locate a public time source http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome

As an example I provide what is in my two servers /etc/ntp.conf files

Server A:
server 192.5.41.40 # Stratum 1: tick.usno.navy.mil
server time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
peer 210.0.2.4 #

broadcast 192.0.2.255
broadcast 192.0.3.255

Server B:
server 192.5.41.41 version 3 # Stratum 1: tock.usno.navy.mil
server bonehed.lcs.mit.edu version 3 prefer # Stratum 1 added 5-20-2005
peer 210.0.2.2 #

Each machine gets it's time from 2 different servers on the internet and then ensure that they sync to each other on the 210.0.2.X network. Please note than on Server A I also do a broadcast. This is primarily for the windows servers and PC's on our network.

From the rest of the UNIX servers we have the following entries in the /etc/ntp.conf file

server 210.0.2.4
server 210.0.2.2

This indicates that each server will source it's time from each of the in house servers, accross the private network between all, and never access the internet for time.

BTW I do not have any entries in the /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons I left it alone and did all my configuration in the /etc/ntp.conf file. Yes you will have to set the XNTPD=1 in the netdaemons as you have done. Setting broadcastclient to yes is not really required. By making the two entries as above, except for your own IP's, you will be fine.

Regards
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" A. Einstein