4486 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No trap mails on SLES 10 Proliant system

Tim_273
Occasional Advisor

No trap mails on SLES 10 Proliant system

Hi all,

I'm unable to get hardware monitoring to work on an SLES-10-Proliant-system. Unfortunately I have little experience with Linux. Could someone help?

What I want is to have the system send trap mails to an external mail address. Mailing itself is ok if done on the command line with

mail -s "Test" admin@somewhere.com

But when I pull ILO network cable for an alert event nothing happens. In the ILO web page this event is logged, but not in system messages file, nor is there any mail. What I checked (and was able to check) is that insight agents are running. The command

hp-snmp-agents status

returns all agents as "running" (beside those two agents that deal with rack issues, which should not be critical). Something is missing but even after hours of searching through web I cant't find out where to look.

I would appreciate a lot some usefull hints!

Regards,

Stefano

3 REPLIES 3
Tim_273
Occasional Advisor

Additional information:

File cma.conf allready includes these lines:

trapemail /bin/mail -s 'HP Insight Management Agents Trap Alarm' root

trapemail /usr/bin/logger

Thanks.

Tim_273
Occasional Advisor

No idea, folks?

xyzabcd
Occasional Contributor

Is my question not clear or does no one use mail alerting with linux servers? What I learned already is that mail alerting is generally installed with Proliant Support Pack, but that you have to add or change some script. So I will update this server now with PSP and see, what's happening. But sometime ago my boss told me to be carefully because he overwrited the kernel during an older PSP update which brought him into trouble. Could someone shed a light on that? What have I to watch for during PSP update?

Thanks a lot,
Stefano