108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle stop development on itanium

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

But at the other hand, for those who use it, SGeRAC will be part of HA-OE and DC-OE. That's a cost less.

turgay,

the move of those Oracle integrations out of the OEs isn't related to the Oracle anouncements on Itanium in any way - I've seen internal docs on this from several months before the anouncement.. they were simply included in error.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
S. Ney
Trusted Contributor

This certainly isn't good news. I haven't been a Larry fan for quite some time and this just lowers my opinion. Of course it is a handy excuse to knee-cap a competitor.

Unfortunately just being a sys admin I don't get to make those decisions as to which database we use. Most likely path will be to migrate our apps to a linux environ with the latest release of oracle.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

an article about why IBM DB2 would be a good alternative to OracleDB

http://communities.intel.com/community/openportit/server/blog/2011/04/18/the-itanium-processor-and-db2-a-secret-that-shouldnt-be-so-secret
Unix operates with beer.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

After Microsoft and RedHat dropping the support of Itanium, this is a bad news and HP will get a big hit.

Oracle's decision seems not fair considering many customers have put considerable IT investments on Itanium platform. On the other hand, if there is no Itanium development road map beyond "Kittson" then Oracle is just taking advantage of the situation and turn the game around now that they have acquired Sun. The market penetration of Itanium in comparison with x86 which is pretty low. So for Intel, it won't affect much anyway. Either way HP is at a loss and maybe solely responsible for this hit.

I know that I'm nothing, but I never liked HP's decision to go with Intel for Itanium development and manufacturing at first place. At the time, I heard HP engineers contributed in a big way for the Itanium development but later let them go. But then Intel retained the upper hand which has been major in x86 platform to push the development of platforms considering market response where x86 always favored not just by OEMs but also by customers for various known reasons.

HP should have retained Itanium and future generations of RISC processor development and manufacturing like they did for PA-RISC which provided the most stable Unix platform over years running mission critical application on HP-UX. It doesn't make sense that a big IT giant like HP depends on someone else for processor development and business out of it. Sun and IBM didn't do that for some reason.

Even HP-UX is well known for it's stability, it never got momentum in the development such as additions of new features, easy and flexibility in the OS management etc. where Solaris, AIX and even Linux surpassed it.
HP has had a great acquisitions of DEC, Compaq and Tandem. However except Compaq ( yeah it was technically rich already), HP never seemed to take advantages of the acquired technologies and integrate them. True64 Unix was much powerful OS but they killed it and buried the technology. Luckily and I'm glad, OpenVMS ( the BEST OS ) is out there. They had VAX/DEC RDB but they let it go to Oracle.

I think HP needs to fight back. HP is a big player in Itanium Solutions Alliance. Maybe working with the members there would help. Persuasion with other DB vendor like Sybase, Ingres etc. and Linux vendors like SuSE and Debian.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Well, I missed this. I thank the author for the posting.

In my mind this sounds like the death nell for HP-UX. And this is truly sad for its a superior product. Of the four UNIX O/S that I currently work on I'd rank both AIX and HPUX above Solaris and Linux.

My biggest bitch about Solaris has has to do with the very hard time they have in following any kind of standards between versions. Try gathering NIC speed and duplex from 7 through 10 sometimes. And the whole volume manager / file system thing: First its UFS and sub disks, then its disk suite and sub disks, then its the ever popular piece of junk VXVM and sub disks, and now we're back to Disk Suite, I mean ZFS, and sub disks.

Scripts that I write for Solaris are always much bigger than the equivalent in HPUX often times customizing code by version to account for the differences.

Still, I suppose better to be employed on a Solaris / Oracle database box then no HP-UX box at all.

Sigh. What a waste of years.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

In fairness to Oracle, why is it being singled out as the bad guy here? Hey --Micfrosoft and Redhat led the "abandonement" and Oracle just followed suit?

And INTEL has been contradicting itself.... when the E7 Xeons came out with astounding numbers -- that is simply debunking Otellini's counter that INTEL is comitted to the Itanium chip. Why would enterprises wait for Poulson and Kittson when current INTEL cpus are already more than enough for mission critical duties? Of course there's also the upcoming AMD Bulldozer that will practically be the finail nail to the RISC/CISC platforms -- POWER, SPARC and Itanium..

But if any of you still wish to remain on the uber expensive (and reportedly better RAS and Mission Critical inclined) Itanium Platform and HP-UX -- IBM DB2 shows promise as the poster above mentioned.

TO me -- it just does not make sense anymore staying on expensive platforms.
Hakuna Matata.

Alzhy,

> In fairness to Oracle, why is it being singled out as the bad guy here? Hey --Micfrosoft and Redhat led the "abandonement" and Oracle just followed suit?

Sorry if you beleive that, then you have swallowed Oracle's FUD completely.

Windows/Linux on Itanium never got "critical mass" - although there were a fair smattering of customers, I guess there were never enough to sustain the development costs for RH/MS. For Oracle to claim the same for Oracle on HP-UX is a joke. I can't beleive for one minute they don't make good money out of Oracle software license sales and support on HP-UX. The action they took was all about propping up failing SPARC sales - nothing more.

And costs-wise, I'm sorry but I've cranked the handle on my TCO assessments now for some customer environments, and the simple fact is that the TCO doesn't change significantly enough to justify the migration costs. What I save on hardware/OS costs I end up paying out to Oracle in additional feature licenses (RAC for scaling and resilience) and because I can't get away from licensing a whole system in the x86 space (e.g. DL580 with 32 cores - I only need Oracle licenses for 8 of those cores, but have to buy licenses for the whole damn thing).

And as I think I said in a previous post - I wouldn't if I were you feel that secure even on RedHat. See for example what analyst Rich Fichera says in a blog post here:

http://blogs.forrester.com/richard_fichera/11-04-22-hp_and_oracle_customers_react_not_happy_but_coping

Specifically:

"There is, however, lingering confusion about Oracle├в s willingness to support Red Hat or SUSE, with several clients reporting that their Oracle sales teams had told them that Oracle will not support either of these variants in the future, but only Oracle├в s own branded Linux."

I get the feeling that in 2-3 years time if you want to run Oracle you will have to do it on Oracle hardware (x86 or SPARC) with an Oracle OS (Oracle Linux or Solaris). If you think that will be a good place to be with low costs, performant systems, and good support then good luck to you.

All my opinions, not those of my employer.

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

just got this recent survey of Oracle on Itanium (searchtarget.com) from the Gabriel Consulting Group :
http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/2240035172/Is-Oracle-pushing-customers-to-adopt-Oracle-hardware#slideshow

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor