108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PostScript printer questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The addqueue command does not need anything setup except that the printer is online and has the network stuff setup (IP address, etc). What error did you get when you ran addqueue?

T|Just to verify that the printer is working OK, run the commaqnd hpnpadmin -v 12.34.56.78 where 12.34.56.78 is the printer's IP address. If that reports back a lot of stats, then all is well. Test that the printer can print a simple file:

hpnpf -x 12.34.56.78 -N /etc/profile

If that works OK, just use addqueue:

addquue -h 12.34.56.78 -q new_printer_name

That will create the new-printer_name and you can now use lp to print to it:

lp -dnew_printer_name /etc/profile

Note that all of the commands (except lp) are in the /opt/hpnpl/bin directory. Note also that hppi performs the same tasks as hpnpadmin and addqueue -- Unix admins prefer command line choices. Be sure to post any error messages that you get.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
dictum9
Super Advisor

Bill H

> What error did you get when you ran addqueue?

I meant to save it, but lost it. It was a simple one liner, something to the effect that it wasn't available, or found.

Anyway, it has been reported to me that all works now... so I didn't run these diagnostic commands, but will keep them in mind for future reference.

Is there a web site that explains all this hpnp stuff?

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

We don't need no stinkin' website. You have everything you need. Simply cd to /opt/hpnpl/man and then do an "ls *"; you will see all the available man pages.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Well, the lp spooler is the standard SysV implementation but the HP docs are badly split -- direct-connect and remote printers are described in the sysadmin docs but don't talk about printer scripts in detail. The JetDirect (hppi) software was written by the printer division and was never integrated into HP-UX docs. That's why I will be giving a paper on this topic at the HP Tech Forum in Houston next month. I'll also have a tutorial on script writing and an all day seminar on sysadmin toipics.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin