New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printers disabling automatically

Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

Santhosh,

As you suggested, there are lots of lpsched running and I have suspected this could be the problem and applied the patches, mentioned in the question.

But it looks, like effective was only for few days. Again the same issue happening. Secondly, all printers are alive 24hrs. When user says, print queue disabled, I can see the printer visible from network. So, this is not printer side issue, I believe. It must be lpsched issue.

Today early morning, I have done a following testing.

1. Shutdown the spooler
2. Started the spooler with -v option. i.e. #lpsched -v

This is because, once the spooler restarted, the problem won't come immediately. If it happens again, there could be much good information in /var/adm/lp/log file for further troubleshooting.

Let me see, how this is going to be worked out. Anyway, I am giving a low priority of cron job scheduling for this issue.

Some curiosity to investigate, why this happens. That's it.
Regards
Shibin
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

After restarting the spooler with -v option, I have found following error in the log file.

Parsing PJL: ecounter unexpected bytes
Parsing PJL: ecounter unexpected bytes
Parsing PJL: encounter PJL error

What is this error means? How can it be rectified? Could this be the real cause?
Regards
Shibin
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

is that error associate with a particular queue?

folloiwng commands shows the supported formats like PDF/PJL/PS etc.

hpnpadmin -i IPADDRESSOFQ
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Santhosh,

Thanks for the response.

I am not sure, this error related to any specific printer. After restarting the spooler with -v option, I can see this error intermittently in /var/adm/lp/log file.

When I searched with this in google, some of the ITRC forums says, it may be driver mismatch or driver related. If it is driver related, I have one question.

How can I find what are the printer drivers/scripts installed in the server? Because, we creates printer in one server and it replicates to others through a cron schedule.
Regards
Shibin
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

addqueue -l

will list the drivers installed on the system. You may have to check the exact path for addqueue .

[/root] /opt/hpnpl/bin/addqueue -l|wc -l
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Santhosh,

Thanks for the response.

I found the following one, when the printer goes disable state.

#lpstat -pWSTPRT27
printer WSTPRT27 disabled since Sep 3 10:31 -
error 1 returned
fence priority : 0

What is this error1 returned? This will be resolved, when I apply enable command.
Regards
Shibin
Sandeep_Chaudhary
Trusted Contributor

Is the same printer was working previously ?with same configuration?
have u restarted spooler?
have u deletede all stuck jobs in queue?
have u enable the printer using enable? command and it got enable?

If the answer is yes for all above question ur printer is having some hardware problem. please check.

Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Hi guys,

I found one interesting info.

As I earlier said, we creates printer in one server and it replicates. The print server is HP-UX 11i and the problematic server is HP-UX 11iv2. Also, the problem reports on all remote printers. I have found that, the script using in HP-UX 11iv2 is HP-UX 11i. I think, this might be the root cause to give "error return 1". Engaged with HP Solution Center team.

Let's see, what they can suggest. Also, all other servers, replicating this printer, has the version same as the print server. So, no issues from that servers.
Regards
Shibin
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

/opt/hpnpl/bin/transferqueue is applicable while mitrating/replicating from 11.11 to 11.23 which does some conversion from honp to hpnpl. But this are only applicable to jet direct/netowrk printrs. I did not observe any remote queues effected byt the migration/replication
Manuel Contreras
Regular Advisor

another printer command I didn't see mentioned is lpmgr

# /usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -l > /tmp/lp.lst

# grep :no: /tmp/lp.lst
oakact01:remote:no:yes:oakact01_lj4k on 192.x.x.x:0: :

(printer is intentionally disabled )

lpmgr is your friend...