Operating System - HP-UX
1748233 Members
3473 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Prior to login, where can I put a message

Prior to login, where can I put a message

I need to put a message out prior to logging in. What file or where can I put a message to be displayed prior to the login prompt.
hilo
6 REPLIES 6
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Hi,

for telnet connections you can put text into the file /etc/issue
This will be shown before login.

Regards

Thanks, I also remembered that I can also put the message in /etc/motd. We're all getting into security messages all over the place. Thanks
hilo

Thanks for your reply
hilo
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

/etc/motd is only displayed after a successful login. Prior to login, the file /etc/issue is displayed. It is the location for all your warnings about improper access to your system. Note also that you'll need to add not only -b /etc/issue to telnetd in /etc/inted.conf, you should also add -B /etc/issue to the rlogind line.

However, to keep with modern security standards, both telnet and the "r" commands (remsh, rcp, rlogin, rexec) should be disabled and SSH2 used in it's place.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Any banner message in /etc/motd is displayed on a direct connected login session (Login session on console and serial ttys, modem getty sessions). You can also use the same file as a banner for telnet user. For this edit the /etc/inetd.conf file and add the banner option in the telnetd line. Take a look at this thread from ITRC on how to do that,

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000063199927

The itrc doc id is KBRC00001633.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Paul Torp
Regular Advisor

if u edit /etc/issue

and have this on telnet login in /etc/inetd.conf
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd telnetd -b /etc/issue

"sendmail is kind of fun..."