5718 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem in /cdrom contains

Kaps_2
Regular Advisor

Problem in /cdrom contains

Hello Everybody,

When I mount a cdrom I am able to do that however I see all the files ending with ;1. Example : README.111;1. I am not able to do anything with this file not copy nor I can read this. When I try to cat this file I get the following error:-

# cat README.111;1
cat: Cannot open README.111: No such file or directory
ksh: 1: not found

Any idea abt this issue. I have tried replacing several CD's but all I can see this is files ending with ;1. Please let me know if anybody has any info abt this.

I have this issue on HP-UX 11.11.

Thanks,

Kaps
7 REPLIES 7
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

That's because the ;1 is not actually the filename but is rather a version extension --- at least for some OS's. You need to umount the cdrom and mount it with the -o cdcase option (which will change the filename to lowercase and the extensions will disappear).

Man mount_cdfs for details.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] at least for some OS's.

Version numbers (";nnn") were included in
ISO 9660 for VMS, now called OpenVMS, and
owned by HP.

> # cat README.111;1
> cat: Cannot open README.111: No such file or directory

One quick way out may be to quote or escape
characters (like ";") which the shell treats
as special:

cat 'README.111;1'
cat README.111\;1

But mounting the CD-ROM with the right
options will probably be easier in the long
run.

> You need to [...]

There you go again. There's usually more
than one solution to a problem.
Kaps_2
Regular Advisor

thanks a lot dude...looks like its working fine now.

Thanks,

Kapil
Kaps_2
Regular Advisor

Hi,

If I mount the cdrom with -o cdcase option it will mount as lowercase, however if I want it to mount in Upper Case is there any option....?

Thanks,

Kapil
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>if I want it to mount in Upper Case is there any option....?

Why would you want uppercase? Everything in UNIX is lower case by default (because we are too lazy to use the shift key), even commands.

There doesn't seem to be any other options that removes versions without making it lower case. I'm not sure what "norr" does.
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/mount_cdfs.1M.html
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Actually, the -ocdcase was a hack when it was first put into code more than a decade ago. As you have seen, it destroys the UPPER and lower case filenames. The good news is that since you are running 11.11, you can use the -orr option when mounting a CDROM. For 11.00 and higher, the native cdfs code was patched to understand RockRidge format, also known as ECAM 168 or POSIX filesystem names. Note that you must have already installed the 3 requisite patches:

PHCO_25841,PHKL_26269,PHKL_32035

Then you mount the CD with:

/mount -F cdfs -o ro,rr,noauto /dev/cdrom /cdrom

(assuming you have a useful mountpoint called /cdrom). Now you will see the names with MiXeDcAsE and verylongfilenames, as defined by the RockRidge standard. Note that HP-UX CDs such as the Install and Application media will mount without using -orr and still have MiXeDcAsE and long filenames due to a proprietary format used by HP.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Ooops, newest patch list for 11.11 is:

PHCO_25841,PHKL_26269,PHKL_37535

Bill Hassell, sysadmin