1754014 Members
5624 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with a DLT8000

John_33

Problem with a DLT8000

Hi All,

I have a DLT8000 attached to a C3600 workstation. Ioscan shows the tape drive is attached correctly and I can use it to tar files. When I try to use fbackup, however, the command fails with:

fbackup(3038): output file /dev/rmt/0m is not a valid device file for backup

I have searched the forum for similar problems and solutions, but none seem to match my case. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John Frizzell

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to HP-UX > sysadmin. - Hp Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Hmmmm.............

The DLT8000 requires an HSC connection. Everyplace I've looked has not listed the C class workstations as having an HSC SCSI connection or capable of installing one. Possibly this is the problem?

People with more experience please jump in and step on my tongue please!
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Verify with ioscan -nfCtape if the DLT is claimed and run fbackup with SAM.
John_33

Hi Paul & Vincenzo,

Paul, the specifications for the DLT8000 indicate compatibility with the C3600 workstation via a LVD SCSI connection, so I thought I was okay on this point.

Vincenzo, ioscan shows the drive is claimed. Attempting a backup via SAM returns the following error:

SAM internal error. The error handler has gotten the error code 1 of type NOTE with the associated strings: 10/0/15/1.4.0 QUANTUM DLT8000

Then, when I proceed with the backup, the system repeats the error ". . .not a valid device file for backup".

Thanks for your input guys,

John Frizzell
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I'm no expert...but if as you say the LVD SCSI is ok to use..I would ask -

did you load the sctl driver and then configure this and the robotic arm into your kernel? Seems to me when I set up a DLT to a server I had to set up for communication with the robotic arm too.

Just a thought,
/rcw
MARREEL Chris_1
Regular Advisor

I exerienced the same problem, I loaded the patch PHKL_20590 onto the system (with his dependencies) and then it worked.

Hopes this helps,
Chris MARREEL