New Discussion юеВ

Problem with dds4 tape drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrikopoulos
Occasional Contributor

Problem with dds4 tape drives

Hi all

i have a problem with my data tape drives. I have a hp surestore dat 40 and a hp storageworks dat 40 tape drives. The problem is that i am trying to write on brand new dds3 tapes and i cant. Moreover i tried to read a dds4 tape and it reads it normally and without any problem. More i tried to also read a dds-1 tape with no success. The above things are happened with both the tape drives. I read on the box of the tapes that normally a dds-4 tape drive can read/write on dds-4, dds-3, dds-2 tapes and can only read dds-1 tapes.
Could you suggest me anything pls.
3 REPLIES 3
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Problem with dds4 tape drives

Hi,

# ll /dev/rmt | grep DDS3

is this does not show the device files for dd3 density open/start sam, goto peripheral devices, tape drives, highlight dds4 drive, actions, create device files, create custom device files, and select the dds3 density.

Regards,
Robert-Jan
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

Andrikopoulos,

As you say, you should have a backward compatible dds-4 drive, so you should be able to write to a dds-3 and read a dds-1. Can you be more specific, as in let me know what the errors are when trying to write or read the other tapes?

Regards,

JASH
If I can, I will!
Josiah Henline
Valued Contributor

Please paste what errors you are receiving when you attempt to write to the tape.

Try running "mt -t /dev/rmt/Xm status" and "diskinfo /dev/rmt/Xm" and paste the output.

Thanks,
Josiah
If at first you don't succeed, read the man page.