Operating System - HP-UX
1752790 Members
6020 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with PHCO_29108 (pthread library cumulative patch)?

Greg OBarr
Regular Advisor

Problems with PHCO_29108 (pthread library cumulative patch)?

I need to install Java 1.4 on HP-UX 11.00. I am downloading the required patches, but noticed a warning on PHCO_29108. See the link:

http://support1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHCO_29108&BC=patch.breadcrumb.search|&context=hpux:800:11:00

According to the link above, this can cause Java processes to hang. Java 1.3.1 and above require this patch, but I don't want processes hanging on my system. I need to install Java 1.3.1 or above for an Oracle 9i upgrade. Actually, I already installed it and didn't notice that java was core dumping until I tried to configure the Enterprise Manager. Has anyone else installed PHCO_29108 and if so, have you had problems with it?

10 REPLIES 10
Helen French
Honored Contributor

I would install the previous patch PHCO_26960 instead of this one. I have the patch PHCO_26960 in one of my system, which is running Oracle and Java without any issues.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Greg OBarr
Regular Advisor

Thanks Shiju, are you running Java 1.3.1 or above?
Greg OBarr
Regular Advisor

It appears that the link was not working. If anyone was having trouble opening it, I have saved the page describing the problems with PHCO-29108 (see attachment)
Helen French
Honored Contributor

No, the system has 1.1.8 installed since it was little old installation. I have checked the patch requirements and it says the installation of PHCO_29108 is a *must*. The problem description page says it solves the hanging issues:

http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/java/patches/index.html

http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/java/patches/g-11.00-1.4-1100.0303.html
Greg OBarr
Regular Advisor

Yes, I see that under the patch list for Java 1.4, in the "Problem Description" for patch PHCO_29108, it says:

solves pthread synchronization causing hangs. must install starting with 1.3.1.09, 1.4.1.03.
solves several libpthread problems that affect Java applications

HOWEVER, When you click on PHCO_29108, to view and download it, it says:

Warning: 03/11/04 - This Critical Warning has been issued by HP.

- PHCO_29108 introduced behavior that can cause threaded
applications to hang. With the patch installed, a thread
that calls pthread_suspend(3t) to suspend itself might not
be awakened when an unsynchronized thread resumes it, so the
thread hangs.
- Additional information on this issue may be found in
Service Request 8606334892 (JAGae95970).
- To avoid this behavior, HP recommends removing PHCO_29108
from systems running threaded applications in which a
thread calls pthread_suspend(3t) to suspend itself.
- The previous patch, PHCO_26960, does not exhibit this same
behavior. If you choose to remove PHCO_29108, to ensure as
many known issues as possible are addressed HP recommends
that PHCO_26960 be installed after PHCO_29108 is removed. If
PHCO_26960 was installed prior to PHCO_29108, it will
automatically be restored when PHCO_29108 is removed and it
will not need to be reinstalled.

This was issued on 3/11/03 and there's no indication that the problem has been fixed, and there is no superceeding patch to PHCO_29108.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

I read that on the patch description. This is one of the issue reported in forums regarding installation of this patch:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=209627

I would install the previous patch first and if it doesn't work, then will try installing PHCO_29108.
Marco Muishout
Occasional Contributor

Today, I also stumbled upon this 'interesting' problem. Could anyone share me his latest experience with PHCO_29108 or th previous patch in relation to the latest 1.3 and/or 1.4 JDK's? I need to install both 1.3.1_11 and 1.4.2 on my systems but I do not want my developers end up working with a screwed up system.

Since people are working with 1.3.1_05 today, no serious problems exist because this patch does not apply here. I do not have the luxury to experiment with this patch.. But I need the new JDK's!

The previous patch is installed. Can anyone tell me whether or when phco_29108 will be superseded with a patch that does not have the specified problems?

Thanks,
Marco
Greg OBarr
Regular Advisor

All I can say is that I still have not installed it. I may install it over Christmas holiday, but will install on the test system first. I still haven't heard a satisfactory answer about this patch.

I'd really like to know from someone at HP what the "official" stance is on this patch. Should it be installed or not?
Marco Muishout
Occasional Contributor

This is so weird..

We now basically have JDK versions which HP claims to be unstable both before AND after patching. So if anyone from HP is listening,

PLEASE RESPOND!

Best regards,
Marco