1753804 Members
7489 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question on system backup

Teddy_2
Occasional Contributor

Question on system backup

I am investigating the backp utils for Linux. There are many tools like 'taper' or 'Amanda' etc. I would like to know if there is any tool that creates backup which can be used for system crash recovery. I mean that the backup is just like the Ignite backup for HP-UX. For Ignite backup, the system can be booted from the media and root VG is recovered automatically. Pls help. Thanks a lot.
3 REPLIES 3
Eric Ladner
Trusted Contributor

I don't believe that any tools as advance as Ignite exist for Linux.

However, you can create a boot disk which is basically a copy of your existing kernel. If you compile in the driver for whatever tape subsystem you are using, you can boot from the floppy, and from there, have access to re-create whatever filesystems are needed to begin restoring data from tape.
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

yes there is. HP ships One Button Disaster recovery with its current DDS drives range. This allows you to boot from tape after the appropriate images have been dumped on it.
It requires a known SCSI HBA with bios and bootable cd-rom support, pref AHA2940UW or higher. Checkout the hp site (DAT drives section) to find out more. The shipped software (Yosemite TapeWare) supports various Linux flavors.

Cheers,

Cal.
Ralf Reinartz
Frequent Advisor

Have a look to this link

http://www.estinc.com/cru2/CRU2.html

I'not tested it, but it sounds well

so long

Ralf