9114 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Raw Disk

Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Hi

I dont wish to be rude here, but you really should be careful when fiddling with logical volumes. LVM itself is not greatly different to other volume managers (I forget the Sun one) VxVM etc. Try doing "man lvm" for some of the basics of lvm. You just dont want to dig youself into a hole, and have to justify an outage to correct it (I've been there)

OK. to create a LV (logica volume) you use lvcreate. Whilst it is possible to do the below..
lvcreate [-n ] -L

You can also use various options to stripe or mirror the LV over PV (physical volumes). This should be some form of administrators policy, so if you dont know, you might need to ask. Herein lies the problem. If the admin policy is to use mirrored extent stripe, and you craete unmirrored unstriped LV, then you can be faced with an outage to correct this... I'm just saying be careful...

Regards

Tim
-
Frank de Vries
Respected Contributor

As you assign points, please keep in mind the scale that applies:

N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question

1-3: The answer didn't really help answer my question but thanks for your assistance!

4-7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help.

8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

If you have questions about the Points System, please look for more information in the Support Forums FAQs.

Look before you leap