Operating System - HP-UX
1757432 Members
2246 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RealVNC loadable module for HPUX 11i X-server?

Martin Geil
Advisor

RealVNC loadable module for HPUX 11i X-server?

In order to implement remoting the console X-display of an HPUX workstation efficiently, I am trying to build the VNC loadable module for the HPUX 11i X-server. Has anyone done this already? Has anyone built either Xfree86 or Xorg X11R6 on HPUX 11i (ie is anyone else a masochist?)
Cogito Eggo Sum (I think, therefore, I am a waffle)
6 REPLIES 6
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Re: RealVNC loadable module for HPUX 11i X-server?

Hi Martin,

Not sure of loadable module, but you have prebuilt binary of Realvnc available

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/download.html

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Martin Geil
Advisor

Testing the RealVNC download on HPUX is what has led me to this question. A loadable module for HPUX is not provided by RealVNC in any of their products, and email communication with them confirmed they have not built one for HPUX. The need for it is detailed at this URL:

http://www.realvnc.com/products/enterprise/4.2/x0.html

I tried their screengrabbing executable, and it brought my B2600 to its knees (CPU load-wise). Renice did not help. Changing resolution from 1280x1024 to anything lower is a non-starter because of other applications running on the workstation. Network bandwidth is not a problem, I'm remoting within the LAN.

The consensus among the VNC-knowledgeable is that the loadable module is far and away the most efficient option. It appears to me that I have to build an X distribution from scratch in order to build a loadable module, but perhaps I am wrong and only need the X11 Development Kit loaded. Has anyone built an X11 loadable module on HPUX?

Hello,

I downloaded the previous release ( 4.0 ) hpux binary from RealVNC to my B2600 workstation ( HP-UX 11.11 ) and it works just fine. You need Perl though !

I use it daily from my win XP/Pro workstation.

Follow the above link and try the hpux binary.

Greetings,
Philippe
Martin Geil
Advisor

Phillippe,

By "works just fine", do you mean that you could login on the workstation using CDE, and then view that same X-session remotely from Windows? I don't need a separate X-session, I need to view the console user's session. Essentially, I need to watch over an HPUX workstation user's shoulder from a remote PC. When I do this using the screengrabbing executable, the console user experiences very sluggish X performance, and the CPU-usage skyrockets.
Bill Thorsteinson
Honored Contributor

Busy backgrounds can be a problem.
Switch to a single colour background.

Given that you need that big a screen I
would expect you have a lot of updates
happening on other windows which are not
in focus. This can consume a lot of
time as the updates are captured.

I haven't looked at HP-UX and VNC for a while
but check to see if you can limit updates
to the window in focus.

Try the various transfer coding options.
If bandwidth is not an issue select an option which doesn't do a lot of compression.
Martin Geil
Advisor

Bill,

I tried a number of the suggestions you mentioned, but even with no screen changes at all the CPU was pegged, half of it being the X-server process itself. I thought about getting the source to the screengrabber executable and tweaking it to grab frames at longer intervals, but it appeared like I was getting about 0.5 fps as it was, and I need for it to be reasonably transparent to the console user when the remote user starts viewing.