New Discussion юеВ

Reboot command

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim O'Connell
Regular Advisor

Reboot command

Hi,

I haven't rebooted my RP5430 HPUX server for about 3 years. I went to shut it down today to connect up a new tape drive & it kept rebooting. It never shutdown . I used the command I had in my notes - shutdown -h 0 . Is there something I have left out?.

Thanks,

Tim
17 REPLIES 17
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

Re: Reboot command

hey

shutdown:
shutdown -h 0

reboot:
shutdown -r 0

Regards
SUDHAKAR_18
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hello,
#shutdown -hy 0 -->for shutdown
#shutdown -ry 0 -->for reboot

what is the exact problem?
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

Hi,

iif it waits to kill some process/service try break key to interrupt in console.

Kenan.
Computers have lots of memory but no imagination
Tim O'Connell
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I used shutdown -h 0 but the server just rebooted & came back up.
Would shutdown -hy 0 have shut it down completely?

Thanks,

Tim
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

yeah "shutdown -hy 0" will halt down your systems. If you want to completely power off the server then you need to down the power from MP/GSP console.
a warrior never quits
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Tim,

No, adding the y switch causes an automatic "yes" response for any interactive input during the shutdown. It would have no effect on whether the machine reboots or not - that is strictly controlled by the -h vs the -r switch.

I would think there must be some sort of message indicating why the machine is rebooting. Perhaps it has a problem during shutdown and the failure causes a reboot? Study the output from the shutdown process carefully and see if there isn't some indication of why this is happening.

Pete

Pete
Paul McCleary
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

I normally always use:

shutdown -yh 0

Which is a shutdown halt (-h) with no grace period and answering yes (-y) to any interactive questions from the shutdown process.

Your system should have been halting. What output is on the console during the shutdown, especially the point where it starts to then boot again?

Paul
Tim O'Connell
Regular Advisor

I don't have the output now but I will need to shutdown the server again as the tape drive wasn't picked up & will keep an eye on it. On older Unix servers there used to be a /var/log/console - is there similar on HPUX?

Thanks,

Tim
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>there used to be a /var/log/console - is there similar on HP-UX?

No. But sometimes the MP/GSP console logs may have 100s of lines.

Have you looked at syslog and /etc/shutdownlog?