New Discussion

Reconciling File Copies between HPUX and Red Hat Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Reconciling File Copies between HPUX and Red Hat Linux

Hello Guru's,

I have a copy job, using SCP, which simply copies files from a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 server to a HPUX 11.31 server.  The Red Hat filesystem is ext3, and the HPUX filesystem is vxfs-7.  I am trying to reconcile the copy process, to ensure everything was successful.  I do have the correct number of files, however, when I use "du -sh" on Linux, I am getting 97GB, whereas when I use "du -s, and times this output by 512", I am getting 136GB.  I am wondering why the difference?  Is it even possible to compare the two, given they are on different operating systems with different filesystem types?

Thanks...colin

8 REPLIES 8
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Reconciling File Copies between HPUX and Red Hat Linux

For file validity checking you should probably use some sort of checksum mechanism.  At its simplest a 'cksum' command.  If you want a more robust checksum, md5sum may fit the bill.

If the file has been successfully copied your checksums should be exactly the same on both.

CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks, and you have answered my next question.  Much appreciated.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

I have an additional question.

The desire now is to have a copy job, which will copy a filesystem from a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 server, over to a windows fileshare.  I have mounted the windows fileshare as a CIFS mount on the Linux server.

1) Is CIFS the correct filesystem to use?

2) Should checksum's be the same between the two filesystems?

Thanks...colin

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

The goal here is to "park" the Linux filesystem on a Mounted Windows Fileshare, so that Dataprotector can come by and scoop up the files.  I have created a script now, scheduled through cron, which creates a tar file on the Mounted Windows Fileshare.  Are there any other suggestions as to how to backup the Linux server, using a corporate Dataprotector install?PS - I really miss HPUX Ignite and HPUX Fbackup!

Thanks...colin

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

DeafFrog
Valued Contributor

Hi , for linux backup you may use mondo rescue which is a free , also search this forum for excellent explanation given by Matti .If you did like to have paid and supported solution ..Acronics is good.Just create Iso image of the OS using any of the solution thru cron job and have DP back it up.
FrogIsDeaf