1745865 Members
4390 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Red Hat Linux Enterprise 6 & Samba Share

Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

Red Hat Linux Enterprise 6 & Samba Share

We are trying to create a share on a newly loade RHEL 6 box running samba 3.5.6-86.  We would like this share to be open to all users with no permissions to the share.  I have shared the correct folder, put the security as SHARE.  When trying to accesst the share, we can "see" it but cannot drill down into it.  Any suggestions?   I compared my smb.conf file to one of my RHEL 5 boxes and they are the same.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Red Hat Linux Enterprise 6 & Samba Share

OK, so all the information from your configuration is your Samba version and that you have set "security = share". Showing your actual configuration would be much more useful than saying it's the same as some other configuration only you can see.

Remember that even with security = share, Samba needs to have the remote operations associated with some Unix account: this is required by basic POSIX filesystem semantics. (Every file on a Unix-style filesystem needs to have its "owner" and "group" metadata fields set to some values: they cannot be left blank.)

So, here's a list of points from the smb.conf man page, phrased in the form of questions:

• Do you have the "guest only" parameter set for the share?
  • If the share is "guest only", is the "guest account" parameter set and referring to some existing Linux user account?
  • If the share is not "guest only", does the system have a Linux user account with the same username as the Windows user attempting the connection? (Is "username map" being used to map the usernames?) Is the situation different on the old RHEL 5 box?
  • Is there a Linux user account whose name equals the name of the share? Is the situation different on the old RHEL 5 box?
  • Is there a Linux user account whose name equals the name of the Windows host? Is the situation different on the old RHEL 5 box?
  • Does the share have an "user = " parameter specified?

The smb.conf man page says: "Note that it can be very confusing in share-level security as to which UNIX username will eventually be used in granting access." After reading the paragraphs on "security = share", I agree.

MK