108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Removing Software

SOLVED
Go to solution
GBR
Regular Advisor

Removing Software

I general I've used "gmake install" to install numerous applications on a system that I was unable to find the appropriate sotware depots.

How do I remove the software once it is installed?

GBR
7 REPLIES 7
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Removing Software

It all depends upon how well the makefile was done. Examine the makefiles and there may be a "remove" or at least a "cleanup" directive; if so, gmake remove will do the trick -- but this is a long shot. The installed software database won't have a clue about this software so a manual remove is needed. You are generally going to have remove these yourself, edit /etc/PATH and /etc/MANPATH, and remove any applicable data files as well as the executables. Be extremely careful when removed shared libraries because you may break far more that you think.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

It all depends upon how well the makefile was done. Examine the makefiles and there may be a "remove" or at least a "cleanup" directive; if so, gmake remove will do the trick -- but this is a long shot. The installed software database won't have a clue about this software so a manual remove is needed. You are generally going to have remove these yourself, edit /etc/PATH and /etc/MANPATH, and remove any applicable data files as well as the executables. Be extremely careful when removing shared libraries because you may break far more that you think.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
GBR
Regular Advisor

Correction

In general...
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm always search this
http://hpux.asknet.de/
for the install depot, because it could be very hard to remove the software manually (you have to remove all entries by yourself - if you could find them all). If it is well done, there should be a "make uninstall" or whatever.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
GBR
Regular Advisor

Torsten,

I do search the HP-UX Archiving and Porting Centre, but it's tough to find the depots for a PA-RISC 1.1 architecture, which is what I'm trying to find depots for.

Thanks for your response.

GBR
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"PA-RISC 1.1" indicates old hardware running old HP-UX versions - right?

Since old hardware and OS are *really* old, don't expect news regarding this topic.

( I know about this because my system has a PA-7300 CPU only, but it is running 11.11)

Have fun!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
GBR
Regular Advisor

Yes, I'm working with old hardware. And it's a pain in the but trying to get everything I need. I'll have to make due!