5064 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Resetting SCSI devices

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Maes_1

Resetting SCSI devices

When i try to install some soft on a new HP unix server the scripts sometimes stop and i frequently get the message "resetting scsi devices" in the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

What can be the problem ? SCSI-controller and DVD player have already been replaced.

p.S. This thread has been moevd from General to HP-UX > sysadmin. - Hp Forum moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Re: Resetting SCSI devices

Hi Frank,

Check the cables / terminators. Hope they are not loose / faulty, which could be the cause of the reset.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Frank Maes_1

I will check the cables and terminators tomorrow but i don't think that's the problem.

We will see
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

You don't say what is on the bus that the resets are coming from...

If it's the bus with the DVD on it, then it is most likely it's the cabling or termination.

If it's another bus (with disk drives on it, for example), then it could also be a disk going bad.

Good luck!

No matter where you go, there you are.
Frank Maes_1

I always get the message on bus 4 & 5 but the technician from HP could not tell me what's on that bus. How can I find out what's on that bus ?
Frank Maes_1

I did a diskdump on every disk (internal & external) but there's nothing wrong, at least no IO-errors.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Post a excerpt of your syslog and a "ioscan -fnC disk" - we should be able to see which bus it is and what's on that bus from that.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Frank Maes_1

We found out the cause of the reset. There were 2 terminators missing on the PCI cards.

Thx,
Frank