108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Restoration - files/groups/permissions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Trying an install using v5.1a which i believe was the version running when the backup was taken. have selected the enhanced security option as well

how do i switch off the screensaver which is password protected?? - as if i have no working root password then i will be locked out again???

thanks
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Hi,

After installing 5.1A, i have re-created domains, filesets etc.

Have just restored /etc from backup.

When i go into GUI account manager i get the following error

An /etc/AM_is_running Account Manager lock file has been detected. This may indicate that one of the following processes with process-ID 233820 is using an Account Manager Database

dxaccounts useradd usermod userdel groupadd groupmod groupdel

Please remove the lock file if the process does not exist and re-start Account Manager

Perhaps this is why i cannot modify users after the install???

How can i clear this lock file???

I dont have any of these processes working - i have not re-booted since i installed and whe i check processes "ps" i get nothing apart from the 1 terminal window i have open

again any advice would be great

barry
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

After restoring your backup, just use:

rm /etc/AM_is_running

To remove the lock file. It's just that simple.

You can boot in single user mode to remove the file if you cannot login to the system. Halt the system and run:

boot -fl s
mount -u /
rm /etc/AM_is_running
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Hi Ivan

Tried that command you suggested - got a response saying lock file did not exist HOWEVER...it let me change the user passwords and enable previously locked accounts so thanks for that.

Perhaps this is me finally getting somewhere. Going to continue restore and see how it goes

thanks all for help so far ....much appreciated

cheers

barry
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Hi,

Created 1 file domain, fileset, restored from backup pefectly and mounted the file system

When i go to do the same and try and make a 2nd file domain using mkfdmn /dev/disk/dsk1c (1 large 17Gb partition on the disk) i get the following error

/dev/disk/dsk1c or an overlapping partition is open
quitting.......
mkfdmn can't create new domain 'dat_dmn'

I have tried to re-configure this disk by changing usuage to "unused" then back to "advfs" but still getting this message.

As far as i can see this partition should be empty. Still heven re-booted the server since the install

Is this some sort of bug or is there a way around this latest setback??

cheers

barry
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Barry,

If you are *sure* that nothing else is on dsk1, you can force the creation with the -F option...

# mkfdmn -F /dev/disk/dsk1c

I'd probably sanity check the disk label first just to make sure:

# disklabel -r dsk1

The c partition is usually the whole disk, so for a 17GB disk you should have the c partition with a size of around 35556389 and offset of 0.

Cheers,

Rob
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>/dev/disk/dsk1c or an overlapping partition is open
>>quitting.......
>>mkfdmn can't create new domain 'dat_dmn'

Ensure that the disk is not used by any domains in /etc/fdmns/*.

You can try by zeroing the partition label:

disklabel -z dsk1
disklabel -rw dsk1
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Hi,

Finally managed to get the server up and running - so thanks a lot for all your help and advice as it's what kept me going (especially Rob).

Got a couple of oracle errors now which i will have to resolve as i cant get into the database (stack overflow error, proc oracle).

I cant reboot the server still as i get the error as last time (might need to contact HP as it looks like the RAID controller might be broken)

Once again thanks for everything

cheers

barry