New Discussion

Re: Root filesystem size problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Venkat_33
Frequent Advisor

Root filesystem size problem

Hi,

We have progress database runing on HPUX and last week i saw the root filesystem 60% free space and today it suddenly decrease to 12% then i restart Progress DB now its came again in normal size ie 60% free size

Pls what would be problem y it happened
12 REPLIES 12
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Is progress DB creating any temp files in / ? Just check the temp files created by Progress DB.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Monitory / file system by starting DB. Are you sure that only application is using / file system. Is there anyone working in that machine.

du -k / | sort -rnk 1 | more

check this to find most disk using files.

-Muthu
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Dear Venkat,

temp files would be the cause of the issue.

Please check wether the system has a separate /tmp filesystem or it is part of the / ( root ) filesystem. I supspect this !

With Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
Venkat_33
Frequent Advisor

how to check wheterh tmp is separeate filesystem or its under tmp

and also after restart the db how tmp well clear its automatic process
Venkat_33
Frequent Advisor

how to check wheterh tmp is separeate filesystem or its under tmp

and also after restart the db how tmp file will clear its automatic process
Howard Marshall
Regular Advisor
Solution

Use df -k or bdf to check which file systems are mounted

If /tmp is in the list then itâ s a separate file system, otherwise its part of the root file system. Having it part of the root file system is generally a bad idea because you don't really want to fill up your root file system but filling up /tmp is less an issue and easier to recover from.

Something else to consider is the progress db home directory, whether its on the root file system or not, the db could be creating a startup, run, or shutdown log somewhere that gets removed and re-created when the db restarts.

I have a sneeking suspicion that this is one of those things that you are probably never going to see again but if you do here is a good way to check it.

Run this command before and after you start the database to get an idea of where and what is taking up space on the root file system

du -xk / | sort -nr | head -50 > /tmp/du_before.out

After you restart the db and the space is back to 40% free run the same command except redirect it to /tmp/du_after.out and compare the first few lines of the out files. That should tell you where the log files or what ever are.

H
Andy Torres
Trusted Contributor

Run "bdf /tmp" and it will tell you what filesystem it is a part of (last column).
Example:

# bdf /tmp
Filesystem----------kbytes----used---avail-----%used----Mounted on
/dev/vg00/lvol5-----524288---3400--516944-------1%----/tmp
Mark Ellzey
Valued Contributor

Venkat,

I hope you don't have the DB in the root filesystem. Nothing should be in the root filesystem except OS directories and mountpoints.

As mentioned above, you may have some process writing a temp file to root. Not a good idea. Find the process and change it to write to /tmp. That's what /tmp is there for.

Also, check your .bi and .ai files. As I remember, they can grow quite large, if they are not configured correctly. Use promon to check your configuration.

Regards,
Mark