108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAM User Accounts backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
GrayMatter_1
Advisor

SAM User Accounts backup

I know it can be done because we had a consultant about a year and a half ago copy all of our user accounts and passwords from our old HP-UX server to our new box. Now I have a need to do this again for our DR box but I haven't been able to find any info on how. I need to copy our existing users and their current passwords to our DR box.

Thanks for your help!
3 REPLIES 3
GrayMatter_1
Advisor

Re: SAM User Accounts backup

Can it really be as simple as copying over the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files? That appears to have worked. Any known issues with doing this? I have compared all the UID's and GUI's before I did this and that all looks fine.
whiteknight
Honored Contributor
Solution

Gray,

You are doing the right thing
you will need to backup the following files
and directories to the target system:

/etc/group
/etc/password
HOME directories for the users.

WK

please assign points
Problem never ends, you must know how to fix it
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Unless your system is trusted or running NIS, it's just that simple. If you are trusted, in addition to /etc/passwd and /etc/group, you need to copy the /tcb tree. When you are doing this kind of work, make sure that you are logged in as root in at least two sessions. That way you can get yourself out of trouble almost as fast as you got yourself in. Don't forget that you will also need the users' home directories as list in the passwd file.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.