New Discussion юеВ

Re: SFTP Login

SOLVED
Go to solution
Muthyala
Frequent Advisor

SFTP Login

Hi

I have SSH and SFTP enabled on my HP-UX 11i system.I have disabled FTP on my system.When i connect from windows based client using SFTP s/w i get error message stating cannot connect.

How do i need to test this.

TIA
Sri
5 REPLIES 5
Sean Dale
Trusted Contributor

Make sure you are attempting to connect to the correct port (generally 22). Your Windows software may be trying to connect to port 21 (standard ftp).
Live life everyday
Jonathan Fife
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Does it get the connect error right away or does it wait for a period of time and then get the error? The former would indicate that the server is acknowledging the connection attempt and denying it for some reason. The latter would indicate nothing is listening on the port you're trying to connect to.

Check the syslog on the server as well, it should have some information if the connection was denied.

Can you connect to ssh or other services on the server from the windows machine? Can you sftp to the server from other machines?
Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence
Muthyala
Frequent Advisor

Hi

It is trying to connect thru port 22 only.In syslog i get this error message when i try to connect as root "User root not allowed because none of users's groups are listed in AloowGroups" Failed none for illegal user root
TIA
Sri
Jonathan Fife
Honored Contributor

In that case, I would look at the ssh_config file (/opt/ssh/etc/ssh_config, or wherever you've chosen to install it) and look at the AllowGroups line. Either add a group in there that root belongs to, or try to log in as a user belonging to one of the groups specified.
Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

You need to allow root login in sshd_config file in /etc/ssh

Uncomment and change "no" to "yes"

PermitRootLogin no

also mv /etc/securetty /etc/securetty.old since root is not allowed other than from console if this file exists with entry "console"