Operating System - HP-UX
1748211 Members
5031 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SSH Key based user level access problem.

Charles Harris
Super Advisor

Thanks again for the tips, I've already re-generated all directories / id's and even started the services as an authorised user (local login) on another port so that I can examine more closley the sshd behavour, all to no avail.

There are a few other interesting things to consider, the suggestion of installation method is interesting, I'm not sure if the sshd (although it's an HP release) was installed via a depot, so I'll confirm. All of the host systems are trusted, but some work as expected and the other's don't so I'm not sure if this is a factor.

I have also spotted the RNG package on working systems so will compare against the non-workers to see if it's missing.

Thanks again for everyones help / tips / info, this is turning into quite a monster thread!!! - When I get it fixed, I'll post the complete solution although I just hope it's nothing as trivial as directory permissions!!!!

Any further comments / tip / suggestions warmly received as ever!!!

Cheers,

-=ChaZ=-
Charles Harris
Super Advisor

Dear All,

After what seems like an eternity of wrong, I've managed to get it going with all of your help!!

A big thanks for everyone's suggestions and reading materials!

Ok: The problem was 2 fold (I'm not sure which one fixed the issue)

1: The RNG kernel based random number generator was not installed on the problem machines. (unlikley to have resolved the problems as it's only used to seed the id's) although new id's created after installation did eventually work...

2: The sshd sw was part of an ignite image on the 'broken' servers, re-installed from depots.

Created new dsa id_dsa.pub's with the new sw, swapped keys in the usual fashion, everything worked!

Thanks again for the support!

-=ChaZ=-
Charles Harris
Super Advisor

Please see the PP!

Thanks again,

-=ChaZ=-
Anju..
Occasional Advisor

Hi Charles,

I know that this thread was closed long time back,but I need a help from you.I am not able to make a passwordless secure connection to a HP_UX m/c.The debug logs are same as yours.Password prompt is coming up whenever I try to connect to HP_UX. Can you please tell me the steps that you did to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Anju