New Discussion

Re: Softeware RAID with mdadm and physical device renaming not the ARRAY

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thierry D
Valued Contributor

Softeware RAID with mdadm and physical device renaming not the ARRAY

Hi All,

I am not so familiar with mdadm and would like to know how to rename devices within mdadm .

Here some details:

# cat /etc/*release

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 1
# rpm -qa |grep mdadm
mdadm-2.6-0.11

At the moment we are using EMC powerpath to see luns on the SAN. I have to migrate it to linux dm-multipath . So far no big issue, but I am afraid of the behavior of mdadm when the change is performed.

I got with this MD, 2 disks in RAID 1 :

# mdadm --detail /dev/md10|grep active
       0     120       64        0      active sync   /dev/emcpowere
       1     120      176        1      active sync   /dev/emcpowerl

When moving to dm-multipath, I thought of bringing down the MD array, uninstall powerpath, install dm-multipath and then activate the array once again with the following :

mdadm -A -R -s --config=</path/to/my/mdadm.conf>

But I am not sure if mdadm will scan all the disks when re-assembling it or if it will try to find the former devices in some kind of cache or other config files...

Here is the conf within mdadm.conf (will have to change the DEVICE line before but thats no big deal)

# cat mdadm.conf
DEVICE /dev/emcpower?
ARRAY /dev/md10 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=1bf9fb4f:9b7d318d:b60f830f:17e03f10

Any one would know ? Or if anyone would know of a website with some explanation, I could not find so far what I needed ...

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Thierry

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Softeware RAID with mdadm and physical device renaming not the ARRAY

Like LVM, mdadm uses UUIDs to identify array components.

When told to start a specific array, it will find the array UUID in the configuration file, then scan all the disks allowed by the DEVICE setting for software RAID superblocks with that UUID. Once found, it reads all the other information from the superblock(s), then figures out if the array can be started immediately or if some recovery actions are required first.

You can even run "mdadm --assemble --scan" to make mdadm scan all the allowed devices for RAID superblocks and start all available valid software RAID arrays. Since the superblock contains information on which /dev/md* device to use for each array, this should start all the arrays using their usual /dev/md* devices even if you have completely lost your configuration file.

MK