New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stuck in runlevel 3 with / as read only

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oscar Garcia
Regular Advisor

Stuck in runlevel 3 with / as read only

Hi Guys,

I am running Suse SLES 8 in an HP proliant DL385 and after trying to configure nfs and samba I ended up with an unusable machine.
Basically all the filesystems are readonly. I tried to mount / in single user mode, but it comes with:
mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mntab

Any ideas how to make it available? Any thing I tried to do just tells me is read-only...

Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11
xyko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Oscar,

would you please attach boot.log, boot.msg and messages from /var/log ?

Regards,
Xyko
Oscar Garcia
Regular Advisor

Thanks xyko,

I cannot telnet or ssh to that server so getting those files is going to be hard...
I will try to post what seems the mos relevant entries.

Ta
Oscar Garcia
Regular Advisor

Well to make things worst, there is not /var/log only /var/lib and /var/run...

The only filesystems that appear in the fstab are nfs ones.

I think is important to mention that I am using LVM and I have defined only one vg00, where everythings hangs of except /boot and swap.
One of the first errors I notice is something like:
Can't fsck because root is not read-only

and these are the last lines of the boot:
Failed services in runlevel 5: random hotplug sshd nfs xdm
Skipped services in run level 5: isdn nmb sshd cups hwscon postfix smb atd cron nscd inetd
xyko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Oscar,

show us the result of the command

#mount

Xyko
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Yeah, the major issue is that you've fried your '/etc/fstab'.

There should be (at a minimum) a '/' and 'swap' entry in there for local devices.

You've also mentioned that '/boot' is missing.

Now, assuming you've got all your LVM modules loaded, and the machine does a 'vgscan' (and 'vgchange -a y')on boot-up, you can probably try the following:

mount LABEL=/boot /boot

(as a test). Most modern distro's "LABEL" the filesystems so you can use this method.

If that works, then add entries similar to:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

to your '/etc/fstab', and reboot.

Going back a bit, to explain why you're seeing what you are seeing...

As the system boots (of an initrd etc.), it creates a fake-root of the initrd's details. It then 'pivot_root's to your real '/' device, and continues the booting from there. This then uses your '/etc/fstab' to correctly mount the remainder of your filesystems, usually in '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit', including the re-mounting of root (with a command similar to "mount -n -o remount,rw /") into read-write mode. As '/etc/fstab' doesn't exist, the short-hand method of mount (using only the existing mount-point) doesn't work, as there's no map-entry in the fstab.

Unf... yay...

Fix fstab, reboot, all should be well.
One long-haired git at your service...
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Note that the list of mounted disks provided by "mount" command comes from /etc/mnttab, which might have stale data if the root filesystem is in read-only state.

In a situation like this, you should check /proc/mounts. It may not have all the details /etc/mnttab has, but if /proc is properly mounted by the startup scripts, the data will be current (/proc is a pseudo-filesystem; its data is generated from the kernel memory structures on demand).

To make the root filesystem writeable, you should run "mount -o remount,rw /". This is often the first command you'll need to use when booting to the single user mode, so it's good to remember it.
MK
Oscar Garcia
Regular Advisor

Thanks guys for your replies.

The result of mount is:
proc on /proc type proc(rw)

The result of mount LABEL=/boot /boot
mount:no such partition

and this is what I have in /proc/mounts :
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / reiserfs ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
shmfs /dev/shm shm rw 0 0
lindev7:/my_remote_dir /my_local nfs rw, v2, reserved,hard,udp,lock, addr=... 0 0

I have changed to init 1 and when trying to mount -o remount,rw / it comes back with this:
mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

So it seems that the only hope is to use /proc, but I do not know what to put there...

Regards,
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK, so you'll need to figure out your disk structure first...

Begin by checking out /proc/partitions: it's a list of all disk partitions the system currently has detected. Do you see any "dm-" -style entries? If you do, LVM might already be active. If not, you must activate it manually.

As you have a LVM-based system, a "vgscan -v" might help to understand the current situation. Then activate all available volume groups with "vgchange -a y". If the LVM device nodes are missing, "vgscan --mknodes" should fix that. (None of these commands should do any harm, even if they aren't needed.)

You currently seem to have both /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab in unusable state. First you need to try to reconstruct the /etc/fstab, I think.

Have you already checked whether there is a backup version of /etc/fstab still available in the system? (ls -l /etc/fstab*)
MK
Oscar Garcia
Regular Advisor

Matti,

I cannot see any "dm-" -style entry. However there is a list of what seems to be the partition map. It has 15 columns and start with "major minor #blocks name ..."
the first entry is
58 0 1048576 lvma and 11 columns with 0

the last 4 entries show what it seems to be the partitions for c0d0, c0d0p1 /boot, c0d0p2 swap and c0d0p3 lvm.

I ran vgchange -ay with "vgchange -- volume group "vg00" already active" as result.

I also found a /etc/fstab.orig file. I think there are a couple of filesystems missing, but I can afford to loose them.

Ta