1753637 Members
6059 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Temperature monitoring

Catalin Tache

Temperature monitoring

We have here a couple of hp servers (9000/800/L2000-44) running hp-ux 11.00.
I'm interested in a way to get some temperature (cpu, environment) from servers using a command or by calling a system call from a c program. Do you know any way to accomplish this?
And another question. How can I change the fan speed from the system?
4 REPLIES 4
Manuel P. Ron
Frequent Advisor

Re: Temperature monitoring

There is a utility in HP-UX that you can install. It is into any Support Plus CD and it's knowed as EMS Hardware Monitoring (the process of watching a hardware resource). You can monitor all hardware including SPU (System Processing Unit) that is the 'box' that contains the CPUs. It can monitors system processor temperature and you can configure the temperature reset period when overtemp is triggered. Mount a Suppor Plus CDROM and swinstall /DIAGNOSTICS/B.11.00. There is a complete pdf manual in that dir.
But you can't get the temp nor overload the fan's. But if the fans are broken then it sends a email indicating it. Cool, isn't it?
Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month. - Wernher von Braun
Catalin Tache

I was using EMS before. My problem is that when a use 'moncheck' I get something like:
>/storage/events/enclosures/ses_enclosure ... NOT MONITORING.
(Possibly there is no hardware to monitor.)
and this means that not temperature nor fans are monitorined.
Catalin Tache

I read the man page - dm_ses_enclosure (1m) - and I saw that ses_enclosure are meaningful only for:
HP Fibre Channel High Availability Storage System 1010D
which I don't have :-(
So what sensor should I use for monitoring the temperature?
Catalin Tache

ok problem solved! dm_core_hw :-)